Fresh Corn Salad is an easy summer side dish recipe that is perfect for potlucks. This easy corn salad recipe is loaded with flavor, color and crunch!
Corn is one of my favorite summer vegetables. I know it's not the most nutritious, but man does it taste good.
When corn is not in season, I almost always choose frozen or canned. There's nothing worse than "fresh" corn on the cob that isn't very good, and when it's not in season and has be be shipped in, I'd rather use frozen.
Summer time is the best time to make grilled corn salad from whole ears of corn!
The salad is simply made up of four ingredients.
- Fresh corn - can use thawed frozen corn or drained canned corn
- Red onion - you can soak the diced onion in water to tame the flavor and shallots are a fantastic substitution
- Orange bell pepper - you can use yellow, green or red too
- Fresh basil - my favorite ingredient!
The dressing couldn't be easier.
- White balsamic vinegar - you can substitute apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, but I prefer the white balsamic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make this recipe:
- First step is to cook the corn if using fresh. My preferred method is to grill it because I love the flavor of the little roasted bits. If using corn on the cob, you'll need to remove the corn. I used to use a paring knife but have since moved onto this handy dandy corn prep peeler (aka a game changer).
- Toss the corn with the onion, bell pepper, and basil.
- Add the oil and vinegar. No need to mix the dressing separately.
- Final step is to taste, season with salt and pepper, and taste again.
Make ahead directions:
Since this is a cold salad, just do all the prep and keep it refrigerated in an air tight container until you're ready to serve. I find that this salad is best on the day of, but still tastes great for the next few days.
If you're wanting to prep this salad a day or more in advance, don't add the basil until you're ready to serve.
Fresh Corn Salad
- 6 ears corn (frozen or can corn can be substituted if fresh is not in season)
- 1/2 large red onion (diced)
- 1 orange bell pepper (or red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (diced, packed)
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- Cook corn using your preferred method. This can be done on the grill or griddle, steamed in a pot on the stove, or in an Instant Pot with about a cup of water for only a few minutes. When corn is cool enough to handle, remove the kernels and add to a large bowl.
- If the taste of raw onion is too strong for your liking, you can soak the diced onion in cold water for about a half an hour and drain. Otherwise, just add the onions along with the bell pepper and basil to the corn.
- No need to mix the salad dressing separately. Just add the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper to the salad ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, oil and vinegar, if needed.
If you like this easy corn salad recipe, you'll love these potluck recipes!