Chickpea Salad is a quick and easy throw together salad packed with raw vegetables and super foods.
No cooking required! A quick mix of canned garbanzo beans, avocado, onion, pepper, celery, tomatoes and a light lemon vinaigrette make a light and healthy meal full of protein and vitamins.
Chickpea Salad satisfied all of my cravings. It was healthy, had great texture and flavor, plus I was satisfied after eating it. It's not often a salad feels like a meal. Well, unless it's something like a cobb salad. That definitely feels like a meal.
I had only used chickpeas for things like roasted chickpeas (go figure) and homemade hummus. I had never eaten them in their fresh-out-of-the-can form. They're quite good! Especially when you mix them with things like avocado and bell pepper.
How do you make chickpea salad?
Well, there are probably a thousand different ways to make it, but I'll tell you how I made it.
I basically tossed all the ingredients in a large bowl and called it good.
Oh. You wanna know more? Okay, I'll tell you why I chose each of the ingredients.
- Chickpeas - it wouldn't be a chickpea salad without them, right? I used them from a can, but I'm sure other forms would work just fine.
- Avocado - I love LOVE love avocado in salads. Who am I kidding? I love avocado in just about anything... even chocolate pudding! The avocado adds a real mild creaminess to this chickpea salad that you'll love.
- Red onion - This is my favorite kind of onion to eat raw. It has great flavor but is not over powering.
- Green bell pepper and celery - both were added for that green color and the crunch!
- Grape tomatoes - Gotta have a splash of red in your salad! I like to cut them in half for easy fork stabbing.
- Parsley - It qualifies as a salad because I officially added a leafy green!
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (rinsed and drained)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (seeds and stem removed, chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley (chopped, about 1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup red onion (minced)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 avocado (peeled, pit removed, chopped)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin )
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (from 1 to 1½ lemons)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (freshly ground )
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients except the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Gently toss to mix.
- Add lemon juice to a small bowl. Pour in a very thin, steady stream of olive oil while whisking the entire time to emulsify the dressing. Pour over salad and gently toss to distribute the dressing.
- Season to taste with the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately or chill up to 4 days.