Chickpea Salad is a quick and easy throw together salad packed with raw vegetables and super foods.
No cooking required! A quick mix of canned garbanzo beans, avocado, onion, pepper, celery, tomatoes and a light lemon vinaigrette make a light and healthy meal full of protein and vitamins.
MY OTHER RECIPES
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I will earn a teeny tiny (seriously, it’s ridiculously small) commission on anything that you buy, at no added cost to you. By supporting me this way, I can deliver more delicious recipes! Read my disclosure policy here.
Pin it to your SALAD BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Self Proclaimed Foodie on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Chickpea Salad satisfied all of my cravings. It was healthy, had great texture and flavor, plus I was satisfied after eating it. It’s not often a salad feels like a meal. Well, unless it’s something like a cobb salad. That definitely feels like a meal.
I had only used chickpeas for things like roasted chickpeas (go figure) and homemade hummus. I had never eaten them in their fresh-out-of-the-can form. They’re quite good! Especially when you mix them with things like avocado and bell pepper.
How do you make chickpea salad?
Well, there are probably a thousand different ways to make it, but I’ll tell you how I made it.
I basically tossed all the ingredients in a large bowl and called it good.
Oh. You wanna know more? Okay, I’ll tell you why I chose each of the ingredients.
- Chickpeas – it wouldn’t be a chickpea salad without them, right? I used them from a can, but I’m sure other forms would work just fine.
- Avocado – I love LOVE love avocado in salads. Who am I kidding? I love avocado in just about anything… even chocolate pudding! The avocado adds a real mild creaminess to this chickpea salad that you’ll love.
- Red onion – This is my favorite kind of onion to eat raw. It has great flavor but is not over powering.
- Green bell pepper and celery – both were added for that green color and the crunch!
- Grape tomatoes – Gotta have a splash of red in your salad! I like to cut them in half for easy fork stabbing.
- Parsley – It qualifies as a salad because I officially added a leafy green!
Chickpea Salad is a quick and easy throw together salad packed with raw vegetables and super foods. No cooking required! A quick mix of canned garbanzo beans, avocado, onion, pepper, celery, tomatoes and a light lemon vinaigrette make a light and healthy meal full of protein and vitamins.
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeds and stem removed, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped, about 1 bunch
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, pit removed, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp lemon juice from 1 to 1½ lemons
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients except the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Gently toss to mix.
Add lemon juice to a small bowl. Pour in a very thin, steady stream of olive oil while whisking the entire time to emulsify the dressing. Pour over salad and gently toss to distribute the dressing.
Season to taste with the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve immediately or chill up to 4 days.
If not planning on serving right away, you might want to wait to add the avocado as it will brown with time.