Granny’s Monkey Bread is a sweet, gooey, sinful cinnamon sugar treat that will be loved by young and old alike.
Be careful, its dangerously addictive.
Monkey Bread can be prepared the night before so your kids can wake up to the heavenly smell of taste bud heaven, or, because it is an easy monkey bread recipe, you can also put everything together in the morning. There are lots of variations of monkey bread out there, and you can go all out and make your monkey bread with dough from scratch, or you can cheat like I do and make it with cans of biscuit dough.
If you’re looking for a rich, heavenly, naughty breakfast, you should probably make some homemade biscuits and gravy while you’re at it! And since most people love eating monkey bread on holiday mornings, you might want to think about making an overnight breakfast casserole. Better throw in some fruit for good measure!
What is monkey bread?
- Monkey bread is known by many names including: monkey puzzle bread, sticky bread, African coffee cake, golden crown, pinch-me cake, and pluck-it cake
- It is a soft, sweet, sticky pastry served in the United States for breakfast or as a treat.
- It consists of pieces of soft baked dough sprinkled with cinnamon. Oh, and lots and lots of butter.
Every summer, this self proclaimed foodie is lucky enough to spend a week at Sunriver Resort in Central Oregon with her in-laws. My husband has a huge family so there are a lot of people. Organized chaos, if you will. Want to know what our family’s number one vacation rule is? Eat well. That doesn’t mean eat healthy, that means enjoy everything you eat. That means the normal day to day rules we typically live by including portion control and trying to eat a balanced ratio of lean protein, fiber, and healthy fats goes out the window. One of the many reasons I like to go on vacation as often as possible. This recipe for monkey bread should become part of everyone’s vacation plans. If you’ve never experienced Monkey Bread, you haven’t lived. Its sweet. Its gooey. Its incredibly naughty. Its my favorite.MY OTHER RECIPES
Every year my mother-in-law, i.e. Granny, spoils us with an abundance of naughty treats. We have an endless amount of homemade cookies, sweet breads like zucchini chocolate chip, fruit pies, and Monkey Bread. When I do breakfast for a crowd, I tend to go a little overboard and make something grand like blueberry peach stuffed french toast or some chocolate Belgium waffles. I’m also very fond of my savory breakfasts like classic eggs benedict. But vacation food needs to be easy and extra naughty. When we’re on vacation and Granny has a dozen kids running around begging for a treat, she throws together this Monkey Bread in minutes and pleases the entire crowd all at once. I’m pretty sure I gained a pound a day during our trip this year, much to my husband’s dismay.
This easy monkey bread one of those treats that’s super easy to make and your kids will enjoy preparing it even more than you will. Want to be a rock star parent? Next time you go camping, delight your kids when you make Monkey Bread on the campfire in the dutch oven. Can you imagine a better treat to wake up to? How about having a batch of this monkey bread on Christmas morning? If your kids are anything like mine, they’ll be torn between ripping open their presents or digging into the monkey bread.
How to make Monkey Bread:
- I find that this monkey bread cooks best in a bundt pan. I’m sure you can use any other kind of baking dish, but the bundt pan gives it a great shape
- Granny’s Monkey Bread recipe calls for store bought biscuit tubes. I get a lot of questions from readers outside of the US because I guess buttermilk biscuit tubes only exist here (other countries – I’m jealous). Anyway, you can make this monkey bread recipe with your favorite bread dough. I agree biscuit dough is best because of the high fat content, but pizza dough or dinner roll dough would work as well.
- Use the kids! Although the heating and melting of the butter should be handled by the adults, let the little ones cut the dough with kitchen scissors and dip each dough ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture!
- The full monkey bread recipe is below, and if you want to watch me re-create this gooey masterpiece, be sure to watch the VIDEO below!
Granny's Monkey Bread is a sweet, gooey, sinful cinnamon sugar treat that will be loved by young and old alike. Be careful, its dangerously addictive.
- 3 (8 ounce) packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Prepare Bundt pan by heavily greasing with butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each biscuit into four equal sized pieces.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl or plastic bag. Drop roll the pieces of dough in the sugar cinnamon mixture and gently arrange them into the prepared Bundt pan.
- In a small sauce pan, combine 1/2 cup of the remaining sugar cinnamon mixture with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup butter. Bring mixture just to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. Carefully drizzle the mixture over the rolled dough balls in the Bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow pan to rest for about 5 minutes, then cover with a large plate and invert bread. To eat, pull desired amount off with your fingers and enjoy the gooey sweet sinful treat.