Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade is perfectly sweet and equally tart.
Freshly squeezed lemon blended with fresh strawberries and a homemade rhubarb simple syrup is the ultimate kid friendly summer drink and will quench any thirst. Add a splash of vodka or your favorite booze for an adult-only version!
Freshly made Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade is what summer is all about!
I love summer. Need I saw more? Having fresh and local produce available to me is good for my soul.
Strawberry Rhubarb Recipes
This strawberry rhubarb lemonade was so incredibly delicious and refreshing, I'm afraid my words can't describe how wonderful it was.
How to choose the best rhubarb:
If you grow your own rhubarb, it is ripe during the spring and summer months. Rhubarb is best harvested when the stalks are at least 10 inches long.
If you're buying rhubarb at the grocery store or at the farmers' market, I recommend looking for dark red rhubarb. If you're wondering if the rhubarb you're buying is going to taste good, just make sure you see more red than green.
You can eat green rhubarb, but it's not as attractive when cooked. Also, green rhubarb lacks the tart, mouth puckering flavor that red rhubarb provides.
How to choose the best strawberries:
Finding dark red juicy strawberries is a must.
Although you can use strawberries from the store, or even frozen strawberries, this recipe is the absolute best when you can find fresh, local, seasonal strawberries.
How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade:
I cooked down the rhubarb with some sugar and then pressed it through a fine mesh strainer. This creates a flavored simple syrup. You can make extra to use for other drinks and cocktails too.
Then, I blended this up with some fresh strawberries and fresh squeezed lemon juice and that was my base.
I prefer to keep that base cold in the refrigerator and not to add ice or water until I'm ready to serve - it takes up less space and if, by some miracle, its not all consumed instantly, you don't want your ice to melt and dilute your lemonade.
There are few drinks you'll find this summer that will be more tasty and refreshing than this one!
Love Strawberry + Rhubarb? Watch the recipe video below of How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Jam!
Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb (cut into half inch cubes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups strawberries (1 pint, stems removed)
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed )
To make the lemonade:
- 3 cups water or sparkling water
- To make the rhubarb syrup, combine the rhubarb, sugar, and 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium low heat until the rhubarb completely breaks down, 10-15 minutes. Press mixture through a fine mesh sieve trying to extract as much as you can, scraping the bottom of the sieve. Discard remaining solids.
- Chill rhubarb syrup in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Process rhubarb syrup, strawberries, and lemon juice through blender on low speed for 20 seconds. There will be approximately 3.5 to 4 cups of base.
- To make lemonade, add water or sparkling water to base and serve over ice. Enjoy!
This post was originally created in June 2016 and has been updated with more fun facts and tidbits for your reading pleasure.
Are you a Foodie? We have a group that's just for you!
I invite you to join so you can share your love of food and cooking with other foodies.
We're building a community one meal at a time!