Honey Lime Fruit Salad is the easiest and most gorgeous fresh fruit side dish recipe you can make. The fresh dressing adds just the right amount of tart and sweet. I can't think of a better recipe to bring to a summer potluck.
Why this recipe works so well:
- Everyone will love this recipe. This is a colorful, fresh fruit salad that is lightly dressed with a sweet and tangy dressing. All of the flavors compliment one another. I have never found anyone who doesn't love this recipe.
- Great for potlucks or as a breakfast side dish. Anytime I have friends over for brunch, I make this fruit salad. It's also a fantastic choice for BBQs and get togethers and the recipe easily doubles or triples to feed a crowd.
- The fruit salad dressing is the best. I will often make a bowl of chopped fruit without any kind of dressing, but when I take the small amount of time needed to make this sweet, tart, and fresh dressing, it takes it from good to amazing.
Fruit salad dressing:
This simple mixture is a combination of lime juice, lime zest, honey (raw and local if you can find it), and fresh mint.
The main thing to keep in mind when deciding on which fruit to use in a fruit salad are whether the colors and the flavors will go well together.
- I always use some kind of red berry, and strawberries or raspberries are my favorite.
- A splash of green is always appealing and you can't get better color or flavor than a perfectly ripe kiwi.
- For that splash of orange, my preference is fresh mango but you can always add orange segments.
- Banana adds a nice neutral light color to the mix and a creaminess to the fruit salad.
- Deep, dark blueberries are the perfect final addition to this recipe. Black berries are fantastic as well.
How to make this recipe:
Full ingredient list and detailed step by step instructions are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary. Making this honey lime fruit salad couldn't be easier.
- Make the fruit salad dressing. Simply whisk together the ingredients until the honey has dissolved.
- Prepare the fruit. Cut up all the fruit and gently toss it together in a large bowl.
- Combine. Just before serving, add the dressing and toss to combine.
Recipe tips for best results:
- Fruit tips: For best results, cut the fruit into pieces that are similar in size. Firm fresh fruit works better than overly ripe fruit.
- Dressing: Whisk the dressing long enough to completely dissolve the honey. The real trick, however, is to really muddle the zest and mint to release all that flavor and essence while it marinades. The flavors are subtle and fantastic.
- Make ahead directions: Honestly, I really think fruit salad is best on the same day that you make it. Almost all fruit oxidizes as soon as it is cut. If you want the firmest, freshest, most vibrant fruit possible, you'll need to serve this fresh fruit salad almost immediately. If you do need to make ahead of time:
- Reduce unnecessary moisture. For fruits like berries that require washing, allow them to air dry on a kitchen towel. Any additional moisture in the fruit salad will cause the fruit to get soggy faster. See tips on how to wash strawberries. Likewise, if you can avoid cutting fruit like strawberries, they'll hold up better if they remain whole.
- Ripeness matters. Use fruit that is barely ripe. For example, find firm bananas that are even slightly green versus bananas with brown spots. This will help them hold their shape and texture longer.
- Preparation. Wait to add the fruit salad dressing until you are ready to serve your fruit salad. Remember: moisture = soggy.
Other great fruit recipes:
You'll love these easy to make side dishes and appetizers.
- Cheesecake Fruit Dip
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
- Mini Rainbow Fruit Pizzas
If you’ve made this or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. I love hearing from my readers!
Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from two limes)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (from one lime)
- 6 mint leaves (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 pint strawberries (stem removed and halved or quartered)
- 2 champagne mangoes (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- 4 kiwi (peel and sliced into small chunks)
- 2 bananas (peeled and sliced, slightly underripe is best)
- 1 pound blueberries (about 3 ½ cups)
To make the dressing:
- Combine honey, lime juice, zest and mint in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
To prepare fruit salad:
- Combine all fruit in large bowl. Just before serving, cover with dressing and toss to combine.
- Add entire fruit salad to serving dish and serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published in June 2019 and has been updated with helpful information and recipe tips. Don't worry - the recipe hasn't changed!