Brown Sugar Pound Cake is basically the tasty cousin of a traditional pound cake. The brown sugar changes the flavor of this recipe in all the right ways.
Why this recipe works:
There's just something wonderful about a homemade pound cake. It's dense, perfectly sweet but not too sweet, and is the perfect dessert (or breakfast, for that matter).
Pound cake is rich and heavy. It is perfect when served with fresh berries and homemade whipped cream.
I've always made my pound cake with granulated sugar, but when I changed the recipe up to use brown sugar instead, the results were somewhat similar but also quite a bit different.
- golden brown sugar - or course
- unsalted butter
- eggs - 4 of them!
- pure vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
That's it! Pretty easy, right?
How to make this recipe:
- This recipe uses a single standard sized loaf pan. You can also use two mini loaf pans if you prefer. Prepare the pan by greasing and lightly flouring the surface. Shake out any excess flour. Preheat the oven too.
- You're going to want to cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You can't over mix them, so go crazy. Then, scrape the bowl and mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- You'll whisk the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and then slowly incorporate them into your batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about an hour or so. Remove the cake as soon as a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out completely clean. If you over bake this pound cake, it will be very dry.
- Set the hot pan on a cooling rack and then as soon as it's cool enough for you to handle with your bare hands, pull the cake out of the pan and allow it to finish cooling on the rack.
What to serve with brown sugar pound cake:
This cake is certainly tasty on it's own, however I always prefer to serve it with fresh berries and whipped cream.
It's rather surprising how fast I can eat this cake when it's smothered in berries and cream!
Sliced peaches would also be fantastic.
You could also drizzle with chocolate or caramel sauce and top with ice cream, but that's all a little too sweet and decadent for my taste.
Brown sugar is one of my favorite ingredients to bake with. The flavor it brings to recipes like my favorite chocolate chip cookies, Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies, or my Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies is undeniably delicious!
Other great cake recipes:
Love to bake cakes? Here are my favorite scratch made cake recipes:
Brown Sugar Pound Cake
- 1 cup golden brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a standard sized loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter on high speed until fluffy and fully mixed. You can't over mix it at this point in the recipe. Beat in eggs 1 at a time on low speed. Add vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to sugar mixture, scraping down sides to ensure everything is fully mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set loaf pan on a cooling rack and as soon as the pan is cool enough to handle, remove cake from pan and turn out on rack to cool completely.
- Top with Sweetened Whipped Cream and fresh fruit, if desired.