This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Taco Meat Recipe has a secret ingredient that makes it healthier and more delicious than any other recipe you’ll find, and picky eaters won’t know!
Tacos make their way onto our weekly dinner menu one way or another.
Why this recipe works:
Growing up and well into my adult life, I’ve always made taco meat by combining ground beef with store bought taco seasoning. The results were acceptable, but in no way amazing.
Now that my cooking skills are better than ever and my taste buds demand only the best, I only make my homemade taco meat with my own taco seasoning along with ground mushrooms and onions. This method is so good, it will blow your mind.
The mushrooms and onions not only add flavor and moisture, but they’re a great way to sneak in vegetables that no one will be able to taste (or pick out)!
If you’re looking to make an authentic taco meat recipe that tastes really good, but is also filled with vegetables that you really can’t taste or pick out, then you’ve found the right recipe!
- Ground beef – I always try to buy grassfed ground beef. It is super lean and you never have to drain off any excess fat. You can also use ground turkey if you prefer, but that’s not my preference.
- Mushrooms – I use just standard button mushrooms or baby bellas. I know it sounds weird to put mushrooms in taco meat, but read on and you’ll see why.
- Red onion – I find the flavor of red onion is perfect for this recipe. You can use a yellow onion if that’s all that’s available, but red offers the best flavor.
- Taco seasoning – you can use store bought or make your own.
How to make this recipe:
This recipe is so incredibly simple and turns out perfect every single time.
- The first step is to run the mushrooms and onion through the food processor until the mixture resembles ground beef. The food processor is highly recommended for this step as hand chopping won’t work as well.
- The next step is to cook the ground beef, mushroom and onion mixture, and taco seasoning all together in a large skillet. Just continue to stir and break up any chunks of meat so that it’s evenly cooked. Cook until the meat starts to brown and crumble.
- Once the meat is fully cooked, be sure to taste it and add additional taco meat seasoning, if needed.
- You can add the taco seasoning to the meat at any point. Some people prefer to add it at the beginning to the raw meat and others prefer to add it at the end when the meat is cooked. I have found it doesn’t matter either way.
- Adding ground mushrooms to your ground beef definitely increases the amount of taco meat you get, so if you generally need more than one pound of beef to feed your family, this recipe may work really well.
Make homemade taco seasoning
Why use store bought when you can make your own? Control the heat and customize the amount of salt to create the perfect balance.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Other great ground beef recipes:
Love easy ground beef recipes? Then you’ll definitely want to make these:
- Granny’s Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Meatloaf Meatballs
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf (mini meatloaf)
- Mushroom Blend Meatball Sliders
- Easy Salisbury Steak
- Easy Bolognese Sauce
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Stuffed Bacon Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers
- Classic Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Perfect Swedish Meatballs
- Easy Teriyaki Meatballs
- Meatball Parmesan
- Double Cheesy Stuffed Meatball Sliders
- Green Chile Meatballs with Cheese Sauce
Taco Meat Recipe
- Process onion and mushrooms through food processor until they resemble ground beef.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef, onions, mushrooms, and taco seasoning. Break up meat and stir occasionally. Cook until moisture is gone and ground beef begins to brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve taco meat in hard or soft shells, in a burrito, on scrambled eggs, or on your taco salad.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.