The best easy comfort food recipe you can make using ground beef and a tasty sticky sauce on top is Granny's Classic Meatloaf.
Similar to my mini bacon wrapped meatloaf recipe, Granny's Classic version is the ultimate easy-to-make dinner comfort food that your entire family will enjoy.
CLASSIC MEATLOAF RECIPE
If you're wondering what to cook for dinner tonight, you can't go wrong with Granny's Classic Meatloaf.
How to make this meatloaf recipe:
This classic recipe consists of two parts: the meatloaf and the sauce on top.
To make the meatloaf,
- Start by sauteing some onion and garlic in butter. Adding raw onion to the meatloaf would be too intense. Cooking them first and allowing them to cool before combining with the remaining ingredients allows you to get the best onion and garlic flavors without them being to harsh or intense.
- Next, the recipe is super easy to make because you simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and shape it into a mound on a baking sheet. I always use parchment paper for easy clean up. This is how my family has been making meatloaf since I was a kid.
While the meatloaf is cooking, mix up the super simple sauce. This easy combination of ketchup, brown sugar, and spicy brown mustard is just what the meatloaf needs. I like to add it half way though the cooking time.
How long to cook meatloaf:
There are two considerations when cooking a meatloaf recipe like this one: cook time and temperature. You see, depending on the size and shape of the meatloaf you make, the time will vary.
If you make it in a loaf pan, your cooking time could be longer because the meatloaf is taller and more compact. If you bake it on a baking sheet like I did, it will generally be more flat, thus increasing it's surface area and cooking faster.
A general cooking time range would be anywhere from an hour to an hour and twenty minutes. The only sure way to know when your homemade meatloaf is done cooking is to verify the internal temperature is 160 degrees F.
Perfect side dishes to serve with this dinner:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Gorgonzola Celery Root Mashed Potatoes
- Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Perfect Garlic Sauteed Asparagus
Watch the recipe video below!
Granny's Classic Meatloaf
RECIPE VIDEO WILL AUTOPLAY
- 1 medium sized onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Topping (see note):
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Preheat oven or grill to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Melt butter in saute pan over medium heat. Cook onions until fragrant and slightly brown while stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and cooked onions and garlic. Use hands to mix well, but try not to over work the meat. Shape into loaf on parchment lined baking sheet. Use sharp knife to cut a criss cross pattern on top.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 40 minutes. While meatloaf is cooking, combine ketchup with mustard and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- After 40 minutes of cooking, spread ketchup mixture over the top of the meatloaf and continue baking for about 30-35 minutes to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).