Citrus Cumin Coleslaw is a healthy and delicious side dish that is the perfect accompaniment to spicy sliders or fish tacos. Its perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
I love me a good coleslaw. The only kind of coleslaw I used to eat when I was a kid was from Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now that I’m an adult and have my wits about me, I won’t go near that stuff, let alone eat it. No. The coleslaw our family enjoys is always from fresh vegetables and fresh dressings. Whether is an angel hair coleslaw with a light dressing or a purple cabbage citrus slaw or a creamy cilantro lime slaw, my family just loves this stuff. My love affair with coleslaw started a few years ago when I started getting CSA produce boxes every week. I was given an overwhelming amount of cabbage and I had no idea what to do with all of it. Now, I just throw a bunch of stuff together until it becomes this wonderful mountain of perfectly flavored raw veggies.
For this particular coleslaw, I tossed it in the most wonderful citrus cumin vinaigrette. I typically don’t put carrots in my coleslaw but I happened to have a large bowl of shredded carrots when I didn’t use all of them to make my delightful carrot cupcakes with orange spice frosting. Mmmm. What I wouldn’t give for one of those right now. You might notice my coleslaw is particularly colorful. That is because I love to buy the multi colored carrots at Trader Joe’s. They pretty much taste the same; they just make me happy. This slaw was really easy to make and it went great with the slow cooker carnitas I served up alongside it. I pretty much had to fight my husband and both my kids for the last bit. I won.
Citrus Cumin Coleslaw
- citrus cumin vinaigrette see link in instructions
- 1 head of green cabbage sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 large jalepeno julienned thin
- 1 cup cilantro loosely packed, roughly chopped
- Follow directions to make vinaigrette.
- Add cabbage to large strainer and sprinkle with salt. Set in sink or over bowl. Allow salt to soften the cabbage a bit for about 10 minutes.
- Add salted cabbage to large bowl and toss with carrot and jalapeno. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, toss in cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on sliders, with fish tacos, or as a side dish.