Citrus Cumin Coleslaw is a healthy delicious slaw made with a creamy homemade vinaigrette. It’s the perfect accompaniment to spicy sliders or fish tacos.
Coleslaw is the best salad:
I love me a good coleslaw. The coleslaw our family enjoys is always from fresh vegetables and fresh dressings.
My love affair with coleslaw started a few years ago when I started getting CSA produce boxes every week. I was given an overwhelming amount of cabbage and I had no idea what to do with all of it. Now, I just throw a bunch of stuff together until it becomes this wonderful mountain of perfectly flavored raw veggies.
What makes this recipe great:
For this particular coleslaw, I tossed it in the most wonderful citrus cumin vinaigrette.
I typically don’t put carrots in my coleslaw but I happened to have a large bowl of shredded multi-colored carrots on hand. The carrots not only offered a sweetness that counterbalanced the tartness of the dressing, but it made the coleslaw particularly colorful.
What to serve with coleslaw:
This slaw was really easy to make and it went great with the slow cooker carnitas I served up alongside it. I also think there is no better pairing than this slaw with some homemade Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos.
I pretty much had to fight my husband and both my kids for the last bit. I won, of course.
Citrus Cumin Coleslaw
- 1/4 cup lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/4 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (more if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage (sliced thin - see notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups carrot (shredded )
- 1 large jalepeno (julienned thin)
- 1 cup cilantro (loosely packed, roughly chopped)
TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Combine all ingredients in blender and process until smooth
TO PREPARE COLESLAW
- Add shredded cabbage to large strainer and toss with salt. Set in sink or over bowl. Allow salt to soften the cabbage a bit as well as release any liquid for about 10 minutes.
- Add salted cabbage to large bowl and toss with carrot and jalapeno. Add small amounts of dressing and toss well to combine. Continue to add vinaigrette until you've dressed it to your liking.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, toss in cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on sliders, with fish tacos, or as a side dish.
- For more information, see full recipe post for citrus cumin vinaigrette
- I highly recommend using a mandolin to finely shred the cabbage, carrot and jalapeno. The thinner the cabbage, the better the coleslaw!
This post was originally created in April 2015 and has recently been updated for your reading pleasure.