Butternut Squash Soup made in the crockpot, Instant Pot, or stovetop is the best creamy, easy and healthy soup made with roasted butternut squash and apple.
This fall inspired homemade soup recipe is full of flavor and wholesome ingredients that just make you feel good. My version of roasted butternut squash soup is super creamy but the recipe is dairy free. If you are a lover of butternut squash, you'll definitely want to make my Baked Butternut Squash Recipe.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Pin it to your SOUP BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Self Proclaimed Foodie on Pinterest for more great recipes!
If there are two things every person should enjoy in the fall, its squash and soup. I love it when the seasons change and the produce at the farmers markets changes from berries to apples to squash and pumpkins. We spend our weekends at various pumpkin patches watched the kids run through corn mazes and riding the cow train.
The changing fall colors and cool nights inevitably mean soup. I had picked up a butternut squash at the farmers market, roasted it, and then had no idea what I was going to do with it. I ended up using half for butternut squash ravioli made with homemade pasta and half for this soup.
What are good spices to add to butternut squash soup?
My recipe is simple. Possibly too simple if you're looking for interesting spices or seasoning to add to your butternut squash soup. Can you believe I don't add any except for salt and pepper? I knew I wanted it to be creamy, healthy, delicious, and taste like fall so I did the only reasonable thing and added some honeycrisp apple. That, combined with my homemade chicken broth, gave my soup all the flavor it needed.
If you want to kick the flavor up a notch, here are some ideas of the spices you can add:
- Sage - This herb goes hand and hand with butternut squash. I've used sage in other butternut squash recipes including my Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash with Sage Brown Butter and my Savory Parmigiano Reggiano DOP Butternut Squash Cake. I personally think the best way to use sage is to fry fresh sage leaves in butter.
- Cayenne Pepper - A little goes a long way. If you want to add a little spice to your soup, a dash of cayenne pepper will do the trick.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg - What better way to bring out the fall flavors?
How do you make roasted butternut squash soup easy?
This butternut squash soup recipe is extremely easy. Yes, roasting the squash is time consuming, but no one can deny that it's easy. If you'd like, you can roast a ton of winter squash at the beginning of the season and store it in the freezer so that you always have it at the ready.
Then, all you have to do is saute up some onion, apple, and garlic. You can smell it already, can't you?
Add in your roasted and peeled butternut squash along with some chicken broth. At this point, you only really need to heat it all the way through, but the longer you cook it the more the flavors will come together.
Blend it all together and it's ready to serve! I used to transfer my hot soups like this one and my fresh beet soup to my blender, but now that I have an immersion blender, I think that works a million times better!
What to serve with homemade butternut squash soup:
This healthy and comforting recipe is perfectly delicious all on its own. I, however, love to have something crunchy and/or cheesy with my soups.
Served up hot with a grilled cheese, we had a hearty and savory fall dinner!
What is the recipe for butternut squash soup?
I took the liberty of explaining how to make my roasted butternut squash soup on the stovetop, or in a slow cooker, or in an Instant Pot. That way, depending on your mood, your schedule, and your available appliances, you have options.
The full recipe is below. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions!
Butternut Squash Soup
RECIPE VIDEO WILL AUTOPLAY
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 honeycrisp apple (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups butternut squash (roasted and mashed)
To roast the butternut squash:
- See link in notes for full instructions.
To make butternut squash soup on the stove top:
- In a medium sauce pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onion, stirring occasionally, until brown. Add garlic and apple and stir for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth and roasted squash. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Process soup through a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
To make butternut squash soup in the slow cooker:
- In a medium sauce pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onion, stirring occasionally, until brown. Add garlic and apple and stir for 1-2 more minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth and roasted squash. Heat on low for 2-4 hours. Process soup through a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
To make butternut squash soup in the Instant Pot:
- Using saute mode on Instant Pot, heat oil. Saute onion, stirring occasionally, until brown. Add garlic and apple and stir for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth and roasted squash. Close lid and set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release pressure when done. Process soup through a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
This post was originally created in October 2015 and has been updated with more fun facts and tidbits for your reading pleasure.