Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are an American classic where chewy oatmeal cookies are made extra sweet with melted chocolate!
This is a tried and true recipe that will yield perfectly soft and delicious cookies every time. These are best served warm with an ice cold glass of milk!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are what childhood memories are made of. I mean, what's better than a chewy homemade chocolate chip cookie with a tall glass of milk? Nothing!
There was no rocket science involved in this recipe. If memory serves, I started off with my chewy oatmeal cookie recipe and added chocolate chips. There are definitely a few tips and tricks, however, to get the best possible cookie. Read on!
The secret to baking a chewy cookie:
I've made quite a few cookies in my day. Some turned out soft and chewy and some... well, not so much. I think there are two tricks to get a perfectly chewy cookie.
- Brown sugar. I'm a firm believer that the addition of brown sugar yields a chewy cookie. I've never had a cookie made only with granulated sugar end up as chewy as my brown sugar cookies or my faithful chocolate chip cookies.
- The second secret lies in the baking process. The trick is to take them out of the oven when they aren't fully done cooking and then to let them sit on the hot baking sheet for about 5 minutes to finish cooking. I believe this allows the inside to cook without anything getting overly cooked and crispy.
In order to keep your cookies chewy, you must be sure to store them in an airtight container but wait until they are fully cool. Otherwise, you'll end up with cookies that sweat. Sweaty cookies aren't as good.
Question of the day:
Are they good for you?
Not this version, anyway. Sure, they have oats in them, and my brain can easily rationalize that oats are healthy so I should be able to eat 10 of these cookies guilt-free. But let's not kid ourselves. These cookies are full of butter and sugar and flour. Did I mention they are damn delicious? Because they are.
If you're looking for a healthier cookie, you might enjoy my No Regret Cookies. That's about all I have in the healthy cookie department.
Other favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks)
- ½ cup walnuts (raw)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment.
- In a medium bowl or using your stand mixer, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl and stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats, chocolate and nuts.
- Use a small or medium cookie scoop and drop dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly.
- Bake for exactly 8 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
This post was originally created for Centsless Meals where I'm a contributor.