This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies are the best two-bite baked dessert recipe. Each bite of this chocolate filled soft chewy peanut butter cookie will make you feel like a kid!
I used my base peanut butter cookie recipe and added just the right amount of chocolate chips. If you love chocolate and peanut butter as much as I do, you might also want to make my peanut butter balls or my chocolate peanut butter pie!
Table of Contents
- 🍪 Why this recipe works
- 🧈 Ingredients needed
- ✔️ How to make chocolate chip peanut butter cookies:
- Cream butters and sugar
- Combine all wet ingredients
- Combine dry ingredients
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Form the cookies
- Flatten the cookies
- Bake the cookies
- Allow to cool
- 😍 Recipe tips for best results:
- ➡️ Storage
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
🍪 Why this recipe works
- Tried and true recipe. I started off with my classic peanut butter cookie recipe that I’ve been making for years and added just the right amount of chocolate.
- Perfect texture. Right out of the oven, they are super soft. After they’ve cooled, they have a crisp outside with a soft center.
- They hold their shape. Many cookie recipes flatten as they cook. Not these chocolate chip peanut butter cookies! You can expect them to hold their shape as they cook.
- Double the recipe! Since you can freeze the dough as well as the cookies, you might as well make a bunch to enjoy at a later date.
🧈 Ingredients needed
These are a great homemade cookie because chances are that you already have all of these ingredients in your pantry! All you need is:
- butter – I always bake with unsalted butter and you want it to be soft
- peanut butter – I love crunchy but creamy works too
- granulated sugar and brown sugar – using both makes them extra soft
- eggs – room temperature is best for baking
- pure vanilla extract – totally worth it
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- chocolate chips – I like semi-sweet or dark chocolate
✔️ How to make chocolate chip peanut butter cookies:
Full ingredient list and detailed step by step instructions are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
Cream butters and sugar
Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Be sure to scrape the bowl!
Combine all wet ingredients
Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined but do not over beat the batter.
Combine dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and slowly mix them into the wet ingredients.
Stir in the chocolate chips
Remember to save a few to press into the tops of the cookies. Chill the dough for at least an hour.
Form the cookies
Use a cookie scoop to portion out tablespoon size balls of the cookie dough. Roll in between your hands to form a sphere. Roll the ball in granulated sugar and place each one on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Flatten the cookies
Use a fork to press down on top of the cookie dough, making a criss-cross pattern. If the dough sticks to the fork, dip the fork in sugar before flattening the cookie.
Place a few reserved chocolate chips onto each cookie.
Bake the cookies
Place the prepared cookies into the pre-heated oven and bake 8-10 minutes. They will be very soft.
Allow to cool
Transfer the freshly baked chocolate chip peanut butter cookies to a cooling rack.
😍 Recipe tips for best results:
- Chill the dough prior to baking. This will prevent the cookie from spreading too much, thus becoming thin and crispy.
- Set dough on a cool baking sheet. Make sure the baking sheet isn’t hot when you add the cookie dough. Either wait for your baking sheet to cool or use several of them.
- Soften the butter and peanut butter. It is easiest to cream the butter and peanut butter if they are very soft. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer with the paddle attachment. You cannot over mix the butter and peanut butter, so be sure to whip them until they are completely smooth and fluffy.
- Mixing tips: Do not over mix your cookies once the flour is added. Mix just enough to thoroughly combine.
- Baking tips: Be sure to take the cookies out of the oven as soon as they’re set but still very soft. They’ll continue to cook on the sheet as they cool. This is one of the tricks to enjoying a super soft cookie.
- If your first batch of cookies is flat and crispy, you can add a bit more flour to the remaining batter before baking them. The addition of more flour will help prevent the cookies from going flat.
Store leftover cookies in an air tight container in the refrigerator or room temperature. If not eaten within 3-5 days, freeze.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter crunchy recommended
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar for rolling
- 1 cup chocolate chips some reserved for tops
- Cream butter, peanut butter, and sugars together in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. I use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat on medium high speed, scraping the sides of the bowl several times.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla, scraping sides at least once to fully incorporate.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly stir into peanut mixture, scraping down sides as needed to fully mix.
- Stir in chocolate chips. If desired, reserve some of the chocolate chips to press into the tops of the cookies just before cooking, otherwise you can mix them all in.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate at least one hour.
- To bake cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Form 1-inch sized balls and roll in between hands to make smooth and dip tops in the remaining sugar. Set on parchment lined baking sheet with the sugar side up. Use a fork to gently flatten cookie, turning the fork 90 degrees to make a criss cross pattern. Once flattened, cookies will continue to spread a bit during the cooking process, so allow a couple inches in between each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes. When you remove them from the oven, they should still be pretty soft. As soon as you can lift them off the cookie sheet without them falling apart, transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Allow to fully cool before storing in an airtight container.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This recipe was originally published in October 2017 and has been updated with helpful information, ingredient and process photos, as well as recipe tips. Don’t worry – the recipe hasn’t changed!