Kale Soup with Italian Pork and White Beans is a hearty and healthy meal that is quick enough to serve as an easy weeknight dinner.
Italian Pork White Bean & Kale Soup is such a fantastic cold weather meal because not only does it have all of the rich flavors you'd want in a delicious comfort food soup, but it is super easy and fast to make. I used boxed chicken broth, but if you have homemade chicken broth you made from a leftover chicken or even homemade beef stock, the flavor and health factors would be off the chart!
We probably eat soup at least once per week for family dinner once the weather starts cooling off. It's usually my excuse for cooking up a triple threat grilled cheese to go alongside it, but with a hearty soup like this all you need is a nice buttered roll and maybe a side salad.
you can make to this Kale Soup with Italian Pork and White Beans if you'd like to change things up a bit:
- Instead of ground pork, you can use ground turkey or ground beef
- If you don't have or don't like kale, you can replace it with any other dark leafy green like fresh spinach, thinly sliced beet greens, or even chard
- You can even swap the white kidney beans out for red kidney beans or use black beans instead too
- In place of the seasonings used to give it a spicy Italian pork flavor, you can replace them with some chili powder and cumin to give it a more southwestern taste
Italian Pork White Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 cup onions (yellow or white, chopped)
- 14 ounces white kidney beans ((1 14-ounce can) drained and rinsed)
- 1 qt chicken broth
- ½ bunch kale (about 7 large leaves, chopped)
- In a medium stockpot over medium high heat, cook the ground pork with the seasonings until brown and crumbly, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until translucent while stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and beans, bring up to to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add kale and simmer for 10 minutes and serve.