As we get ready to send out kids back to school, lunchbox favorites like these Easy Ham and Cheese Pocket Sandwiches will make your kids smile!
This time of year is bitter sweet. The longest days of summer are behind us and the prospect of fall and all of the wonderful things that come along with it are on the horizon. When I was a kid, I always looked forward to the start of a new school year. Now, as a mom, I realize that excitement pales in comparison the excitement that parents feel!
You have to understand, I adore my children and would spend every waking moment with them if I could. What I crave most about returning to school is the return of routine. I love the regular pattern of waking up, having family breakfast, and rushing out the door. The evenings are filled with family dinner, sports, and homework. Then, it all starts over again the next day.
Things will get busy. They always do. That is one of the many reasons why I absolutely love making things like these Easy Ham and Cheese Pocket Sandwiches. As you can see, all you need to do is cut up some rectangles of dough. They wouldn’t be “easy” if you had to make the dough yourself, which is why I recommend using pre-made puff pastry dough.
I loaded these up with brown mustard, black forrest ham, and shredded sharp cheddar, but you should feel free to add whatever you’d like to the inside as long as you can make a seal around the edge.
A beaten egg makes the perfect glue to hold the top and the bottom together. It also makes them turn a beautiful shiny golden brown when you cook them. The end result is a flaky sandwich that will make all the other school kids jealous. They taste fantastic warm out of the oven, but enjoying them in a chilled lunchbox is perfect as well!
Easy Ham and Cheese Pocket Sandwiches
- 1 package 1.1 lb., 2 sheets puff pastry dough
- 6 oz. black forest ham
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar grated
- 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut each square of dough into 6 same sized rectangles. Avoiding around ½” around each edge, layer mustard, ham, and cheese on half of the rectangles.
- Using a pastry brush, add beaten egg to the edges of the top and bottom piece of the dough so they will form a seal. Invert the top rectangle on top of the other side that has the filling. Use a fork to press around all the edges to form a tight seal.
- Cover each pocket sandwich with more egg wash and cut two slits on top to vent. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy hot or pack in lunches for the little ones to eat cold or reheat at school!
Love tasty sandwich recipes?
Well then you’ll definitely want to try these:
- Loaded Grilled Italian Sandwich
- Leftover Prime Rib Sandwich
- Ham, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches
- Open-faced Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Mini Bacon Jalapeno Egg Salad Sandwiches
- California Club Sandwich
- Summer Veggie Sandwich
- Hazelnut Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Back-to-School Turkey Pinwheels