One of my favorite meals while growing up was a California Club Sandwich. Unlike a traditional club sandwich, my west coast version also includes ripe avocado and alfalfa sprouts!
Why this sandwich is so delicious:
When you make a sandwich like this, it is more than a meal. Perhaps its nostalgia, perhaps its just a love of delicious food, but this sandwich is way more than just a sandwich to me - its an experience.
This recipe has everything you might want in a cold cut sandwich. Nothing earth shattering here, but this combination is the perfect amount of creamy, crisp, filling, salty, and satisfying.
I prefer to leave the bread untoasted, especially when I stack it this high. Otherwise there's really no way to fit it into your mouth!
It's all about the ingredients.
If you've never had a California Club, the ingredients are simple. In fact, it can vary in many ways but there are two ingredients that will define it as a California Club - avocado and sprouts.
Now, I much prefer alfalfa sprouts. I actually grow them in a mason jar at home. They aren't so easy to find int he stores these days, though. If you aren't able to find them, microgreens are very similar in taste and texture and make a good substitute.
The remaining ingredients are what you'd typically find in a regular club sandwich - turkey, bacon, tomato, cheddar cheese, mayo, and of course - exceptional bread that not only holds this monster of a sandwich together, but bread that compliments all the wonderful components of this sandwich.
California Club Sandwich
- 3 slices Bread (sourdough is my favorite)
- 4 slices turkey (herb roasted recommended)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado (thinly sliced)
- 1 ripe tomato (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts (or microgreens)
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (more if desired)
- To layer triple decker sandwich, arrange two slices of bread on a flat surface, leaving the third slice for the top.
- Divide all remaining ingredients in half and assemble on the two slices of bread. Stack them together and top with remaining piece of Butter Bread.
- You may need to hold sandwich together with a bamboo stick as this sandwich will be tall and delicious!
This post was originally created in January 2017 and updated for your reading pleasure.