Whether you're preparing a fancy afternoon tea or a game day feast, Mini Bacon Jalapeño Egg Salad Sandwiches are sure to please!
I don't know what it is about egg salad, but my husband absolutely loves it. Perhaps its because I don't make it that often. Or, perhaps its because its one of those things you don't really see offered anywhere (unless you want to try the vending machine mystery saran wrapped sandwich) other than your home kitchen, and he's not really one to cook or mix anything. Either way, I told him I was making egg salad sandwiches and he got as excited as a dog waiting for a brand new bone. Then I told him it wasn't just any old egg salad, but bacon jalapeno egg salad. I watched his eyes light up like it was Christmas morning. When I served him these little mini sandwiches on fluffy white bread with the crusts cut off, I pretty much made him the happiest man alive at that point. I should have been prepared with a "honey do" list right then and there because I'm pretty confident I could have gotten him to check anything off my list at that point.
One of my most favorite things in the world to do is to go to high tea at a fancy restaurant. Unfortunately, fancy tea restaurants are not very common, or at least not in Portland. There's one that we love to go to, but it is very expensive and they only serve on Saturdays which means the reservations are a solid month out. But guess what, not only do I think its worth the wait and the high cost, but I've trained my kids to have a solid appreciation of all the delights a proper afternoon tea can present. If you've never been, they always serve your own pot of tea along with a tower of treats - both savory and sweet. Trust me, I love my sweets, but when it comes to afternoon tea, I'm a total sucker for the savory mini sandwiches. Egg salad is always included, but I've never seen bacon jalapeno egg salad. I don't know why - its probably the best damn egg salad I've ever enjoyed. Everyone knows bacon and eggs are a marriage made in heaven, but the addition of jalapeno not only adds that fresh spicy flavor, but the texture is wonderful with the bits of crunchy bacon, the soft bread, and the creamy egg salad.
So, even though I would consider these mini sandwiches perfect for high tea or even a husband-pleasing lunch, keep in mind that the addition of bacon + jalapeno easily elevates them to game day grub status. If you have a room full of people gathered around to enjoy the big game, carry out a tray of these sandwiches and I guarantee they'll be the first thing to go!
Mini Bacon Jalapeno Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 6-8 large eggs
- 8 ounces bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 1 large jalapeno (diced)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 6 slices soft white bread
- To hard boil eggs, cover with an inch of cold water in a saucepan, cover, and bring to a rolling boil. Keep covered but remove from heat and allow eggs to sit in hot water for about 12 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer to ice water bath. Once eggs have completely cooled, peel and chop into small pieces. Transfer to medium sized bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients with the cooked egg and stir to combine. Divide evenly between three pieces of bread and cover with the remaining three pieces. Either serve as is or cut crusts off and then quarter each sandwich using a serrated edge knife to make mini sandwiches.
This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I was a contributor.