This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is a family favorite recipe and super moist banana bread that combines the flavors of chocolate and ripe banana.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is one of those favorite go-to recipes that we all love. Everyone has a favorite banana bread recipe stashed away. As you can imagine, I have one too. I basically used my recipe for banana walnut muffins and changed a few things around. When I originally made those muffins, I used a combination of vanilla yogurt and buttermilk because that is what I had on hand. I no longer eat sweetened yogurt, so for this chocolate chip banana bread I took the yogurt out of the recipe and just increased the amount of buttermilk I used. You can’t have banana chocolate chip bread without the chocolate chips, so naturally I added those, both inside and on top. I also took out the nuts, but you can always throw a handful of nuts in if you please.
I always seem to have ripe bananas on my counter. No matter how many I buy, we tend to eat 80% of them and the other 20% get so ripe they have to be added to a recipe. Does that happen in your house? In addition to things like chocolate chip banana bread, I love to make banana bars, banana brownies, and banana upside down cake. What is your favorite thing to make with ripe bananas?
Here are my favorite reasons to make chocolate chip banana bread:
- Who doesn’t love chocolate and banana together? I grew up in Southern California – home of the chocolate covered banana. There’s always money in the banana stand.
- It freezes well. Super moist banana chocolate chip bread keeps great in the freezer. Just wrap the loaves (assuming you make multiple) tightly in plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn. I tend to make as much chocolate chip banana bread as I have ripe bananas. I prefer to slice the chocolate chip banana bread before I freeze it. That way, I can grab a single slice at a time to enjoy with my coffee while I’m running late for something in the morning.
- I love to bake with buttermilk, but if you don’t have any in your refrigerator, you can easily substitute yogurt or sour cream when you make this banana chocolate chip bread.
- Chocolate chip banana bread is better than traditional banana bread because a) it satisfies any chocolate craving and b) the chocolate chips add a great crunch and that plays well with the super moist and soft texture of the banana bread.
Kitchen tools needed to make banana chocolate chip bread:
Glass nesting bowls: Every good recipe requires a good set of stackable nesting bowls. This is the set I bought and I love them! Well made, great price, sturdy – perfect!
Bread pans: I love that these come in a two pack because if a recipe says that it only makes one loaf, I usually double it (like I did the second time I made this recipe!
Flexible Measuring Cups – My sister and I first found these at a cooking class and we thought they were just the best invention. Any time you are measuring and/or pouring liquid, these are simply the best to have on hand. They make a great gift for your favorite cook, too!
Silicone spatula: Any time you’re working with a batter, you’ll need a good quality scraper. These are the ones I use because they do the job right and don’t leave a nasty silicone taste when I like the batter off at the end!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease muffin tins with butter.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking power, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and salt.
- In a medium sized pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Swirl occasionally to ensure butter is cooking evenly. As the butter melts, it will begin to foam and the color will get darker. Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to release any brown specs. Once you start smelling the nutty aroma, remove browned butter from heat and allow to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, mashed banana, and mostly cooled browned butter together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Fold together and do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into bread pan and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes, rotating pan halfway though cooking and moving to a lower position if top is browning too quickly. When done cooking, immediately remove from bread pan and allow to cool on cooling rack.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Love banana bread recipes?
You’ll definitely want to try these:
- Sour Cream Banana Walnut Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- Raspberry Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread with Walnut Streusel Topping
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
- Banana Bread Brownies