Swedish Meatball Pasta combines flavorful homemade pork and beef Swedish meatballs with a heavenly cream sauce and perfectly cooked pasta.
Swedish meatballs are typically enjoyed over egg noodles or rice. This classic meatball and cream sauce recipe makes enough sauce that it made sense to add pasta right in with the sauce and officially name it Swedish Meatball Pasta.
Now, if you want to take this meal from really good to over-the-top amazingly delicious, then you'll want to knock your own socks off and make some homemade pasta. You can easily use fresh pasta for this Swedish Meatball Pasta recipe much like you would a dried pasta you buy at the store. The fresh pasta will just take less time to cook.
How to make this recipe:
- The best recipe for Swedish Meatballs is just a click away. I only made one modification and used equal parts ground pork and ground beef instead of just ground beef. I think the combination just makes a better meatball.
- Simply combine all of the meatball ingredients and form about 20 small meatballs. Fry them until brown and crispy and set aside.
- Next you'll make the sauce. This is a rich and heavenly combination of beef broth and heavy cream that gets mixed into a roux. I went a little above and beyond, in addition to making this recipe with my homemade pasta, by using my own homemade beef broth. You can absolutely use beef broth from a can or a box though. No judgement!
- Finally, while the meatballs are simmering in the sauce, cook your pasta. There's enough sauce to fully coat all of the pasta.
What to serve with Swedish Meatball pasta:
You have two options here: serve something alongside this recipe or incorporate more ingredients. This meal, on it's own, is quite rich and decadent. I certainly feel that some vegetables are required to help balance things out.
If you're looking for an easy side dish, a simple green salad or steamed veggies would compliment this pasta recipe quite well.
You can also toss in some vegetables to make it a complete one-bowl meal. I happened to have some leftover caramelized onions from a different recipe. I mixed those in along with a couple handfuls of fresh baby arugula. Talk about YUM!
No matter what, this is a meal that your entire family will enjoy and it's really simple to make. The meatballs and the sauce have so much flavor and who doesn't love pasta?
Other ground beef recipes you'll love:
- Granny's Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Classic Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Classic Beef Stroganoff
- Easy Sloppy Joes
- Tater Tot Hotdish
Love meatball recipes?
Then you'll have to try these recipes:
Full Recipe Instructions
Swedish Meatball Pasta
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground beef
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup onion (minced)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces pasta
- In a medium sized bowl combine ground pork, ground beef, panko, parsley, allspice, nutmeg, onion, garlic powder, pepper, salt and egg. Mix until combined.
- Roll into 20 small meatballs. In a large skillet heat olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter. Add the meatballs and cook turning continuously until brown on each side and cooked throughout. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Add 4 Tablespoons butter and flour to skillet and whisk until it turns brown. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add worchestershire sauce and dijon mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet and continue to simmer over low heat.
- While the meatballs are cooking, boil a pot of salted water. Cook pasta to preferred doneness and drain. Add to the meatballs and sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve hot with additional parsley as garnish.
This post was originally created for The Recipe Critic where I'm a contributor and has been updated with more fun facts and tidbits for your reading pleasure.
Loved the homemade sauce on these meatballs! So much better than anything you can buy in the store!
This is sooooo good and the kids love it, too!
This is such a delicious pasta recipe with juicy meatballs!
This is so good! My kids gobbled it up. We plan on making it again next week!
These are the best swedish meatballs I've ever had. So tasty!