Homemade flavorful creamy Coleslaw Dressing is super easy to make. Just a few ingredients that you probably already have whisked together and then mixed with cabbage makes the perfect coleslaw. This recipe has the perfect combination of creaminess, sweetness, and tang!
Why this recipe is so great:
- One five ingredients! And you probably already have them in your kitchen.
- Easy to adjust. Like your dressing a little sweeter? More tangy? More salty? Since there are only a few ingredients, it's easy to adjust the "knobs and levers" to suit your preferences.
- Make it ahead of time. This dressing keeps well if refrigerated, so make it ahead of time and don't add it to the cabbage until you're ready to make the coleslaw.
Exact quantities are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
- Mayonnaise - This is what adds the creaminess to the coleslaw dressing. Mine is extra delicious because I use homemade mayonnaise.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
How to make coleslaw dressing:
Detailed step by step instructions are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
- Mix - simply measure out all the ingredients and whisk them together until the coleslaw dressing is smooth.
- Make coleslaw - Use pre-packaged shredded cabbage or shred your own.
Recipe tips for perfect results:
- Making coleslaw: For best results, add the dressing to the cabbage just before serving. The dressing will soften the cabbage and also make it release liquid
- Storage: Both the coleslaw dressing and leftover prepared coleslaw should be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Dressing should be used within 3-5 days.
- Substitutions and modifications:
- Buttermilk: Don't have any? Not to worry. Add a splash of lemon juice to milk and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar: I prefer this kind of vinegar in coleslaw dressing because it's slightly sweet and has the best tang, but you can substitute with other kinds of vinegar including white wine, white balsamic, rice, or even distilled.
- Sugar: A good coleslaw dressing is a little bit sweet and the sugar also balances out the acid and the salt. You can reduce the amount of sugar or replace it with another natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup.
- Mayonnaise: If you're vegan, there are great egg-free mayonnaise options that you can use.
Serve coleslaw with:
Everyone knows coleslaw is a fantastic side dish to enjoy with your favorite BBQ and potluck favorites. Creamy homemade coleslaw goes great with these recipes.
- BBQ Pork Ribs Recipe
- The Best Classic Potato Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
If you’ve made this or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. I love hearing from my readers!
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar ((start with 1 T and increase amount until dressing has desired sweetness))
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Whisk together all ingredients until fully combined. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- To make coleslaw, toss thinly sliced cabbage in dressing. Serve immediately or cover and chill a couple hours to allow dressing to absorb. If not serving same day, do not combine cabbage with dressing to keep cabbage crisp. Serve with fresh ground pepper, if desired.
- When cutting the cabbage, I recommend splitting the head in half by cutting vertically through the core. I then turn it upside down and shred the top of the cabbage until I hit the top of the core at which time I will rotate what I have left to shred all the cabbage around the core.
- Always taste the dressing before adding it to the cabbage. It is the perfect combination of sweet, sour, and salt. If any of those three are too strong, balance it out by adding more of the other ingredients. For example, if it's too sweet because of the sugar, add a bit more vinegar and salt.
- As soon as you add the dressing, the cabbage will begin to release liquid, so this coleslaw is best if served immediately.