Homemade Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes from scratch are the best way to sneak a little extra whole grain and fiber into your favorite pancake breakfast.
And nothing tastes better with homemade pancakes than pure maple syrup, warm fruit, and perfectly cooked bacon.
WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES
We are a pancake loving family.
My husband likes to get creative with his pancakes by throwing any kind of weird secret ingredient into the mix that he can find and the kids have to guess what surprise is in their breakfast.
I like to mix things up by creating completely different pancakes all together.
How to make whole wheat pancakes:
I wanted to incorporate whole wheat flour. Any time I can incorporate whole grain into our diets without sacrificing on taste, I will. And these pancakes really were delicious.
- The first step in this recipe is to mix your dry and wet ingredients separately.
- To make the batter, simply combine the dry and wet ingredients and stir just until combined. With any pancake recipe, you don’t want to over mix it. It’s also best to let the batter rest for a good 5-10 minutes.
- Pancakes cook best low and slow, meaning set your griddle to a medium low heat and be sure to let it heat through before adding the batter.
- As with all homemade pancakes, only flip them once and don’t smash them flat with your spatula.
Best pancake toppings:
We love to put all sorts of fruit toppings on our pancakes.
For these pancakes, all I did was take some of the marionberries that I picked last summer out of the freezer and warmed them up in a pot.
These berries tasted AH-MAZ-ING on these pancakes with a small drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Homemade whole wheat pancakes made with buttermilk are so satisfying. A big plate of these pancakes left me feeling full and satisfied, not sick and bloated like a plate full of restaurant pancakes might leave you feeling. Your family will love them!
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir very gently by folding liquid into dry ingredients. You want your batter to be lumpy. Allow batter to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat griddle on medium low heat.
- Grease hot grill with butter. Use as much as your heart desires. Place large spoonful of batter onto grill. Do not flip until the pancake has lots of bubbles and the bottom is a golden brown. Flip only once and do not smash down with your spatula.
- Serve with warm berries and pure maple syrup. YUM!
This post was originally published in May 2015 and was updated in October 2019 for your reading pleasure.
Love homemade pancake recipes?
You’ll want to try these:
- Homemade Banana Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes
- Banana Macadamia Pancakes with Coconut Syrup
- S’mores Pancakes
- Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Blue Corn Pancakes