Pretend you’re eating breakfast on a gorgeous tropical island when you make these Banana Mac Pancakes with Coconut Syrup that your entire family will love.
We were fortunate enough to take our family vacation in Hawaii this past May. The last time we went, the kids were only 2 and 4. They’re a few years older now and, my, what a difference that makes. No more fighting naps and no more worrying they’re going to drown (as much). Because my kids are half mine, they share my love of food. On our first morning, we were without food in our condo because we got in so late the night before. Because my biggest concern when I travel (errr, well, at all times) is what/when we will eat, I had already planned that our first breakfast would be at The Gazebo. There, we enjoyed a monster sized banana mac pancake along with all sorts of other delicious food.
I did all my grocery shopping at Costco later that day because the smaller grocery stores are just too darn expensive, plus Costco is loaded with all sorts of locally produced food. I walked away with a bag of Hawaii’s perfect nut: the macadamia. That means that I’ll have more delicious macadamia recipes on the way, so keep your eyes peeled.
These pancakes taste outstanding with pure maple syrup, but I wanted to go the extra mile and make my own coconut syrup.
Served up with some additional sliced banana and chopped macadamia nuts along with some toasted coconut flakes, this recipe takes my taste buds back to paradise. Unfortunately, I opened my eyes after I was done savoring my breakfast only to see a pile of laundry on the couch and a to do list a mile long.
This recipe uses pure vanilla extract. Did you know you can make your own homemade vanilla extract? It makes the perfect gift too. Watch how in the video below.
Banana Mac Pancakes with Coconut Syrup
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Banana Mac Pancakes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted (can substitute with coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- toasted sweetened coconut flakes
- chopped macadamia nuts
- banana slices
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, corn starch, and vanilla. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to as low as it will go and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure everything stays smooth. Syrup will thicken more as it cools.
Banana Macadamia Nut Pancakes:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and mashed banana. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in the nuts. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Heat a griddle to medium low heat and grease with butter. Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on each side, flipping only once (do not flatten with spatula).
- Serve the pancakes with coconut syrup and chopped macadamia nuts, sliced banana, and toasted coconut flakes.