Start your morning off with a sinful treat of S'mores Pancakes made from graham cracker chocolate chip pancakes topped with homemade marshmallow creme.
Oh man, this was a naughty treat. I did myself no favors by making these for breakfast. But damn, they were good. There are quite a few recipes out there for s'mores pancakes. Most of them involved making regular pancakes and topping them with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and chunks of graham crackers. I wanted to be a bit different. For anything to qualify as s'mores, you have to have the three main components. Everyone knows that. But you don't have to be so obvious as to make something normal and throw some s'mores on top. I really wanted to combine the ingredients and create something a little different. Are these earth-shattering-different? Nope. But they were fun to make.
For the pancake, I was inspired to incorporate the graham cracker crumbs much like they're used in the graham cracker shortcakes (you know, the ones that won the dessert round on Chopped). I chose to use mini chips because they melt oh-so-good and its easier to get the exact right amount of chocolate in each bite.
The real star here is the homemade marshmallow creme. If you've never made it, its actually super easy to make and you can use it in all sorts of yummy things including cheesecake fruit dip which is the best thing on this planet, next to these pancakes, of course!
This recipe uses pure vanilla extract. Did you know you can make your own homemade vanilla extract? It makes the perfect gift too. Watch how in the video below.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 9 whole graham crackers (finely crushed into crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and slightly cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- additional butter for greasing the pan
- marshmallow creme (homemade is best)
- more mini chocolate chips
- In a freezer bag with a rolling pin or in your food processor, turn your graham crackers into crumbs.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, buttermilk, and milk. Slowly pour in melted butter and stir to combine. Add vanilla and give those ingredients one final stir to mix well.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir. Do not over mix. Remember, pancake batter is supposed to be lumpy.
- Heat your griddle over medium low heat. Grease with butter. Pour enough batter to make 5 inch pancakes (you'll get about 10 this way). Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Cook until there are bubbles across the entire pancake and flip. Only flip once and never ever smash your pancake. Once the other side has set, remove from pan and transfer to plate.
- Top with a dollop of marshmallow creme and some additional chocolate chips.