If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner, make use of that crockpot and look no further than this delicious and simple Slow Cooker Whole Chicken.
Okay, okay. I’ll be the first to admit that the photos in this post lack any sort of “wow” factor. Yes, they’re in focus and properly exposed, but where are all the bells and whistles? Where are the beautiful green herbs to compliment the chicken, where are the fancy dishes and linens? If you are disappointed by looking a plain photos of just chicken, I am very sorry. But I’m a busy mom too and that’s why I’m sharing this post – its the most freaking easy way to make chicken E-V-E-R. I seriously got three meals out of this single chicken. The meat from a slow cooker whole chicken is so tender and flavorful that it blows a rotisserie chicken out of the barn! I ended up making a rich broth (post to come tomorrow) out of the remains, and I used the shredded chicken to make a cheesy buffalo chicken dip as well as some freaking awesome chipotle chicken quesadillas.
Of course, the dry rub I tell you to use in this recipe is wonderful and I use it all the time to make damn good roasted chicken. I cook the bird face down for the first half and I think (I’m totally guessing here) that it makes the breast meat extra juicy.
I kid you not – this is the most tender chicken you’ll ever taste and the rub gives it incredible flavor. How easy it is to just throw everything in the crockpot and come home to the smell of an amazing dinner!
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds, rinsed)
- one spoon dry rub
- 1 medium onion (thickly sliced)
- Prepare one spoon dry rub and coat entire chicken with all of the spices.
- Spread onion slices over the base of your slow cooker. Add the spice rubbed chicken breast side down. Cook on high for 4 1/2 hours, turning chicken to breast side up half way through cooking process.
- Serve immediately for an easy dinner or shred the meat to use in soups, salads, dips, quesadillas, etc.