This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My husband’s famous Schweddy Balls are so good that they will have you stuffing your mouth this holiday season. The are bite sized cocktail meatballs with cranberry and chili sauce, warmed to perfection in the slow cooker, and are quickly eaten at any holiday party or game day gathering.
Hello! This is Krissy’s husband. I’ve never written anything on her blog, but she loves my Schweddy Balls so much that she wanted me to come on here and tell everyone about how good they are. My Scheddy Balls have been enjoyed by countless people, young & old, men & women alike, for years now. Especially around the holidays, people start to beg for them. Then, after the holidays pass and people start thinking about all the good stuff they want to shove in their mouths during the Superbowl, my Schweddy Balls are the first thing that comes to mind. These Schweddy Balls have been perfectly shaped by hand, are the perfect size to fit one (or two if you have a big appetite) in your mouth, and aren’t as salty as a lot of the other balls out there my wife has tried.
My famous Schweddy Balls start with an easy to make basic meatball recipe. Its important to handle the balls gently and not over work them. Size matters – no one wants to stuff a Schweddy Ball into their mouth if its too big. Also, if its too big or too small, the flavor ratio with the sauce is always off. Oh yes, the sauce. Its so delicious, yet almost hard to even describe. My wife says my Schweddy Ball sauce is just the right amount of sweet with the right amount of tangy and it has the perfect amount of flavor needed to compliment the balls. If kept warm in a slow cooker, these Schweddy Balls can last all night, but they typically don’t because they’re the first thing people go for at any party. Hope you enjoy my Schweddy Balls as much as my wife and all our friends do! Enjoy!
Oh, and if you enjoyed hearing about my version of Schweddy Balls, be sure to check out my cousin, Pete, talking about his balls on The Delicious Dish on NPR.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef grass fed if available
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 onion very small or 1/2 large onion, minced
- 1 cup homemade cranberry sauce see recipe in notes
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Make some homemade cranberry sauce (make lots because you can use it for all sorts of things).
- To make the meatballs, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine ground beef, egg, parsley, bread crumbs, and diced onion. Use hands to mix until all ingredients are well combined, but try not to over mix. For balls into bite sized balls, about the size of a large walnut, and evenly space on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned on top. If making ahead, store in refrigerator in airtight container until ready to serve.
- To serve as an awesome appetizer, combine cranberry sauce, chili sauce, and lemon juice in a slow cooker. Add meatballs and toss to coat. Turn to low until heated through, then reduce heat to warm to keep warm throughout the night. Recipe easily doubles or triples if you're serving a crowd.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.