If you've never made your own homemade chocolate sauce, its super easy. This Guinness Chocolate Sauce tastes even better because its made with stout beer which adds a rich flavor!
Why this recipe works:
There are so many wonderful reasons to cook with Guinness stout. This bubbly and wonderfully dark beer does magical things when you heat it up and mix it with other ingredients.
I started with a basic chocolate sauce recipe and I made one change - I substituted Guinness for the water. Good choice, Krissy!
The result was a dark, rich, perfectly smooth and wonderful chocolate sauce that was perfect for making chocolate milk or pouring over ice cream. YUM!
How to make it:
- You'll start by combining sugar, cocoa powder, and the Guinness beer in a small saucepan. Bring that mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and the chocolate chips along with a pinch of salt. Stir the sauce until all of the chocolate has melted.
That's it! Super easy!
Other recipes that use Guinness beer:
If you happen to have some extra stout beer on hand, you might want to consider making these:
- Guinness Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Corned Beef Hash
- Irish Cheddar Stout Bread
- Irish Cheddar Shepherd's Pie
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave me a comment to let me know what you think!
Full Recipe Instructions
Guinness Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup stout beer (Guinness recommended)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces semisweet or 60% cocoa chocolate pieces (about ¾ cup)
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, and Guinness. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 5 min. Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate, vanilla and salt until smooth and completely melted. Serve warm.
- recipe makes about 1 cup
- Will keep covered in air tight container in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
- If cold, warm for 10-20 seconds in the microwave for easy pouring.
- Use on top of ice cream or to make some awesome chocolate milk.
This recipe was originally published in March 2015 and has been updated with more information and cooking tips. Don't worry - I didn't touch the recipe!
So interesting to use beer in a chocolate sauce. I will be giving this a try!
This chocolate would work so great with my favorite bread or cookies. In fact, it would work miracles with pretty much anything lol
Would never have thought to use stout in my chocolate sauce ... but this is out of this world delicious! May have to try it over waffles ... 😉
Delicious chocolate sauce recipe - thanks!
I want to pour this on EVERYTHING! Looks amazing. 🙂
Best recipe for Choc sauce, this is the second batch I've made
Yummmmm! I added a tablespoon each of butter and coconut butter to make it a bit thicker and creamier. But that also adds lots of calories. Thanks.
Thalia @ butter and brioche
I just discovered the benefits of cooking with beer too.. I used guinness in a cake base and LOVED it. Never tried adding it to a chocolate sauce before so thanks for the recipe & idea!