This spicy and creamy Green Chile Cheddar Queso made with real sharp cheddar cooks up in just minutes and is the perfect cheese sauce for nachos or tacos.
I went out to a work dinner the other night and we ordered nachos for the table. Sometimes a girl just needs nachos, amIright? Well, I couldn’t believe what they brought out. It was a huge plate of greasy chips and all the nacho toppings you’d expect, but the cheese was just plain old cheese that looked like it had been microwaved to stick to the chips. I mean, that’s how I made nachos when I was 12. No. An excellent cheese sauce is what’s required. This one? Spicy and perfect.
You know I’m a food snob. That being said, I refuse to microwave a block of processed cheese and call it cheese sauce. Its just unnatural. This one is made from real sharp cheddar cheese. I even grated it myself. Then, the additional flavor and loads of spices come from the diced green chile and the taco seasoning.
It is the perfect compliment to chips. Dip it or pour it over to make a nacho plate. Either way, you will be quite happy.
Imagine yourself watching the game and biting into this. Oh yeah.
Green Chile Cheddar Queso
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar
- 4.5 ounces green chiles chopped and drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk flour into butter until smooth. Allow to cook for a couple minutes until the flour becomes fragrant.
- Pour milk into butter mixture and whisk to combine. Cook and stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add Cheddar cheese, green chiles, and seasoning. Stir until cheese is melted, about 1-3 minutes more.
- Serve hot with chips or tacos.