Gluten Free Country Sausage Gravy is a delicious and hearty breakfast recipe you can enjoy.
Served it over eggs or gluten free biscuits. Pure comfort food! If you need to avoid eating gluten, you don't have to let it stop you from enjoying your cravings!
Needing gluten free options is a necessary way of life these days. Whether people have slight intolerances or they absolutely cannot consume gluten under any circumstances, we need to have options available. Fortunately, Gluten Free Country Sausage Gravy is just as easy to make as my original Country Sausage Gravy, but this recipe is without the gluten!
How this differs from the original:
I didn't do anything crazy here. The only thing I did was swap the all-purpose flour that I use to create a roux and thicken the gravy with gluten free flour. I used Bob's Red Mill's gluten free flour because it always seems to produce results that are consistant to using all-purpose flour, but I don't really think the brand matters all that much in this recipe.
The purpose of the flour is to thicken the milk gravy. I suppose you could thicken it with cornstarch instead of gluten free flour, but I haven't tried that method and can't verify whether it would work or taste good.
You could also transform my country bacon gravy into a gluten free recipe by making the same substitution.
What kind of sausage is best?
You have two options when you make either my regular or gluten free Country Sausage Gravy. You can buy breakfast sausage that comes already seasoned, or you can make your own sage breakfast sausage by following my recipe and using ground pork.
It really doesn't take much time to mix up your own, and that way you have total control over what goes into your breakfast sausage and how it tastes. For example, if you make your own, you won't be adding any preservatives. Store bought? You'd better read your labels.
Homemade is almost always best, but if you're pressed for time, don't sweat it. Bulk breakfast sausage is almost always available at the grocery store meat counter.
Other delicious Gluten Free breakfast recipes:
- Gorgonzola Veggie Omelet
- Smoked Salmon Asparagus Goat Cheese Omelet
- Denver Omelet Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Mini Salmon Asparagus Frittatas
- Fall Harvest Egg Muffins
- Easy Breakfast Potatoes
Gluten Free Country Sausage Gravy
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage (uncooked, I highly recommend you make your own, see recipe link in note 1)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup gluten free flour (see note 2)
- 3 cups milk
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the sausage until brown and crumbly. If excess oil, drain while keeping a solid tablespoon of the sausage oil in the pan. Add the butter and stir well until melted.
- Sprinkle sausage with flour, stir, and allow to cook for several minutes.
- Add the milk and stir. Continue stirring occasionally over medium heat until gravy thickens, 5-10 minutes.
- How to make your own pork breakfast sausage: https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/sage-breakfast-sausage/
- Amount of milk needed may vary depending on gluten free flour. For example, if your GF flour has coconut flour in it, you may need to add additional milk to achieve the desired consistency as coconut flour tends to absorb moisture.