Sausage Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with peppers, mushrooms, onions, eggs, and cheese has everything you want in a savory breakfast in one dish!
This breakfast recipe has it all.
When I think of a comforting, savory, hearty breakfast that will keep you full all day long, it needs to have eggs, meat, cheese, potatoes, and vegetables.
Tater tots are an easy way to enjoy that great hash brown flavor and crisp but in little bite sized pieces.
You can buy breakfast sausage in bulk or you can buy links and remove the sausage from the casings prior to cooking it. You can also buy ground pork and make your own breakfast sausage blend with spices you have in your pantry.
Easy to make ahead of time.
One of the main reasons to make a breakfast casserole, aside from being able to feed a crowd all at the same time, is the ability to prepare it ahead of time.
Weekend breakfasts and holidays are what breakfast casseroles are made for.
To make this breakfast ahead of time, all you need to do is follow the recipe all the way up to the point where the casserole goes into the oven. Cover it and refrigerate.
Then, to bake the next morning, simply allow it to come close to room temperature and bake.
Sausage Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 32 ounces tater tots
- 1 pound ground breakfast pork sausage (recipe link to make your own in notes below)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (diced, any color)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated and divided)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and cook tater tots in a 9x13 dish until golden brown according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage with pepper, mushrooms, and onion in a large saute pan over medium heat until crumbly, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and ground mustard. Add cooked sausage mixture as well as half the cheese. Stir to combine.
- To bake, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Pour egg and sausage mixture over tater tots and top with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminium foil and cook for 40-45 minutes until eggs have set, allowing casserole to cook uncovered for last 5-10 minutes so that the top turns golden brown. Serve hot.
- Casserole can be prepared the night before, if desired, and cooked the morning of.
- Breakfast tastes fantastic on it's own, but I love eating this casserole with ketchup and Tobasco.
- Buy pre-made breakfast sausage or make your own homemade breakfast sausage.
This post was originally published in January 1016 and has been updated for your reading pleasure.