This super moist and delicious Salted Caramel Fresh Apple Cake is loaded with fresh apple chunks and combines the perfect amount of sweet and spice.
So here’s the story on this outrageously delicious fresh apple cake: it all started when I made the most unbelievably good salted caramel sauce. It took me three attempts to make it perfectly (not because its hard, but boiling sugar skeeers me). Well, a little of that stuff goes a long way, so I had some leftover in the refrigerator. I tried to figure out what I should make. Then, I opened up my produce drawer and saw this damn apple that had been in there for a couple of weeks. You see, I LOVE apples in the fall. I make wonderful apple pies and the most amazing vanilla bean honey crisp apple sauce. But as the winter drags on and the only produce available are apples and oranges, I get a little burnt out on eating plain apples. Enter the fresh apple cake.
You can see how big I like my chunks. I slice them thin but make the chunks big enough to pierce with a fork. I’m one of those weird eaters who pays very close attention to the texture of my food and I like a little crunch mixed in with my soft, hence the reason for the chunks of apple as well as the addition of the walnuts.
Mmmm, homemade caramel sauce. There are few things on this planet that are better. The darker it is, the more intense the flavor. YUM.
When you’re all done, just drizzle that caramel sauce over the entire cake. However much you choose to dump on is totally up to you.
I’m totally salivating right now as I look at this.
I actually didn’t add the salt to the sauce because I like to sprinkle the beautiful crystal flakes on top when I’m ready to serve. Again – that part is all about the texture for me.
See the little salt flakes in the photo below?
Warm. Ooey. Gooey. Super delicious and flavorful apple cake. YUM.
Salted Caramel Fresh Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg fresh
- pinch of salt
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups apples chopped and peeled
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- salted caramel sauce
- Ahead of time, make a batch of salted caramel sauce. You can buy some from the store, but homemade is oh so much better.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and/or line an 8x8 pan.
- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment on, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy for several minutes. Scrape sides down and beat in egg. Scrape sides again.
- In small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix just until combined.
- Toss apples in lemon zest and juice. Toast raw walnuts in small pan on stove over low heat, occasionally tossing walnuts to evenly heat. Add apples with lemon and walnuts to cake batter and set mixer on low just to get them going and then flash it on high for only a couple seconds to evenly mix them in.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Batter will be very thick so you will need to use a rubber spatula to spread it to an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve cake warm or cold with warm caramel sauce with some salt crystals on top.