Perfect Chocolate Zucchini Bread puts all that garden zucchini to great use!
This double chocolate zucchini bread is super flavorful and perfectly sweet. Sour cream and a ton of freshly grated zucchini make this homemade quick bread so moist and delicious that a tall glass of cold milk is completely optional!
Why this recipe works:
Of all the homemade baked goods, sweet and seasonal quick breads like this are my favorite!
- This recipe is perfect because it's a great way to use up that garden zucchini.
- It's not only an easy recipe to make but it's pretty fail proof, and there isn't a single person in your house who won't love it.
- I put both cocoa powder in the batter as well as chocolate chips. The cocoa powder makes the zucchini bread taste like chocolate cake and the chocolate chips give it that extra chocolate taste that everyone loves.
- The abundance of fresh zucchini along with the sour cream makes this recipe extra moist.
- It freezes well! Make a lot during the summer months and enjoy it all year long!
I can't decide whether I prefer to eat this homemade chocolate zucchini bread warm so that the chocolate chips or melted or cold so that they chocolate chips are hard. Either way, it's so good.
Here's how to make it:
- You will start by preheating the oven and greasing either two full sized loaf pans or 4 mini loaf pans. Alternatively, you can line with parchment paper.
- In one bowl you will combine the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, sour cream, and grated zucchini. In a separate bowl, you will combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine, stir, and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter in prepared pans and bake until a test stick comes out clean. This should take a little more than an hour for full sized loaves and about 45 minutes for the mini loaves.
How to freeze:
- You must make sure your loaves are completely cool before you freeze them. If you try to freeze a loaf that is still warm, it will release moisture as it cools and will get quite yucky once wrapped up. I prefer to cool my chocolate zucchini bread loaves on a cooling rack because if you leave them in the loaf pans, they'll sweat as they cool and get soggy.
- I'm sure everyone has their own preferred freezing method, but I prefer to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. I find that the plastic wrap keeps them air tight and the foil adds another layer of thermal protection. Plus, it's easy to write the words "chocolate zucchini bread" on the foil with a sharpie.
- To thaw frozen chocolate zucchini bread, you can either keep it in the refrigerator for a few days or you can set it out at room temperature and it should be thawed within a few hours.
Related quick bread recipes:
They're perfect for breakfast or a snack. Plus, I dare you to find a kid that doesn't love a good quick bread!
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Sour Cream Banana Nut Bread
- Raspberry Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Tahini Banana Bread
- Cheddar Zucchini Bread with Jalapeno Honey Butter
- Sweet Potato Bread
- Cinnamon Quick Bread
Full Recipe Instructions
Perfect Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 3 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups zucchini (grated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease or parchment line two 9x5 loaf pans or 4 mini loaf pans.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, grated zucchini, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the liquid ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes for large loaves or 45-50 minutes for mini loaves. Insert a toothpick or cake tester into the middle of a loaf to check for doneness before removing from oven.
- Remove from pans and allow loaves to cool on wire rack.
This recipe was originally published in September 2018 and has been updated with helpful information, ingredient and process photos, as well as recipe tips. Don't worry - the recipe hasn't changed!
Out of this world GOOD! I tweaked it just a little by adding the seasonings I usually use for regular zucchini bread and increased the oil to 1 cup. I used the mini chocolate chips on top about 15 min. before it came out of the oven. FABULOUS!!
This bread is so scrumptiously moist and chocolate. I used one half whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Froze one loaf but I don’t think it will stay in the freezer for very long. It will beg to be eaten!
I'm victor and ive been experimenting with baking for almost ten years now,
I made the chocolate zucchini bread once and as much as everyone liked it I thought it was too much chocolate, so then I made it without adding the cocoa powder and subbed the chocolate chips with butterscotch chips
And it was out of this flipping world... I wish I could let you taste it but it's great ! Wow !
Ok I'll keep in touch with more bye !
Made this recipe, it is DELICIOUS, It's so moist, you'd think it was cake, only problem I had was the choc chips sank to the bottom, next time I'll flour them before I add them
OMG this is DELICIOUS!!! so fudgy and fluffy!
I used coconut oil because I prefer the taste in baking, 0% greek yogurt, and had to use a cup of bread flour cuz I ran out but it was still amazing! this is printed and added to my baking recipes for sure! it's the only way I eat zucchini LOL
I made this. It really is Perfect. Thank you. Everyone loved it.
I used GF AP flour, added 1/3 cup applesauce and made 24 muffins. Important to let batter sit for 20 minutes once in muffin pans. This allows the the GF flour to absorb moisture. Turned out perfectly
Do i need to squeeze the water out of the zucchini?
I've done it both ways (squeeze the liquid out and just leave as is) and it turns out either way
Very good. Made it two times already. Thanks for the recipe.
I made this and it’s so moist delicious
How do you keep the choc. chips from sinking to the bottom of the bread? I made a loaf yesterday and decided to throw some choc. chips in and they went straight to the bottom. It was not this recipe I was following but seeing this recipe this morning will definitly be making yours today!! Thanks
The zucchini kept them suspended pretty well, if I recall.
this can happen sometimes (although it didn't for me in this recipe).
You can toss them into some corn starch before adding, also works for blueberries.
This bread came out perfectly! Will make it again.
Very tasty!!!!.your instructions are well detailed, making it easy to organize and proceed with the recipe. Flavors of the loaf blend well to a very decant loaf.
Great recipe!! I actually made muffins! Baked for 20 minutes, cooled, and dusted with confectioners sugar! My husband said they are amazing!
Wow that's great recipe. I love to read you post because you described the recipe step by step. So it's easily help me to make the recipe at home. Thank you once again for sharing!
Oh my goodness! Grocery store here I come. This is for sure my baking recipes for next week!!!!!!
Now this list looks appetizing !!! Cooler weather, more zucchini in garden equals more chocolate zucchini bread loaves in freezer! Anxious to get started tomorrow!