Mediterranean Farro Salad with a homemade lemony vinaigrette, Greek olives, vegetables, and feta cheese is a flavorful and healthy side dish recipe. Farro is one of my favorite ancient grains and is so satisfying when combined with these fresh and colorful ingredients.
What is farro?
- Definition: Farro refers to the grains of three wheat species. We often refer to it as a whole grain but it's actually three. It is sold dry and must be cooked in water or broth - similar to cooking rice.
- Use: It is most often eaten in salads or soups.
- Taste and texture: It has a earthy nutty flavor with a fantastic hardy chew.
- Nutrition: Farro is similar in nutrient profile to quinoa and is high in plant-based protein. The fiber, antioxidants, and minerals like iron, magnesium, and zinc help keep you full.
- Substitutions: Although the flavor and texture will be different, people may use quinoa, spelt berries, brown rice or oat groats in lieu of farro.
- Where to buy it: Most major grocery stores will sell farro in the bulk section. It is also sold pre-packaged by brand's like Bob's Red Mill.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe:
For the salad:
- Farro that is cooked in chicken broth
- Cucumber, red onion, and red bell pepper give this salad a refreshing crunch.
- Feta cheese creates a creamy tang, the Greek olives lends a salty punch of flavor, and the parsley adds that needed freshness.
For the dressing:
- Acid: lemon juice and red wine vinegar
- Healthy fat: olive oil
- Emulsifier and sweetener: honey
- Seasonings: salt and pepper, fresh oregano, and garlic powder.
How to make Farro Salad:
Full ingredient list and detailed step by step instructions are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
- Cook the farro. Combine farro and chicken broth and cook until tender in covered pot on stove.
- Combine salad ingredients. Toss the cooled and cooked farro with the chopped vegetables, olives, feta, and parsley.
- Add vinaigrette. Whisk together dressing ingredients, add to salad, and toss to combine.
Recipe tips for best results:
- Serving suggestion: This salad tastes best when freshly made.
- Make ahead and meal prep: If making this salad ahead of time, know that the vegetables will release moisture. You can either prepare as directed and toss it well before serving or you can keep the dressing, feta, and chopped vegetables separate and combine before serving.
- Storage: If kept refrigerated in an air tight container, this salad will keep for at least 3-5 days.
- Vegetarian option: I decided to use chicken broth to infuse more flavor and protein into the grain, however water or vegetable broth can be used to cook the farro.
- Vegan option: To make this recipe vegan, simply cook the farro in water or vegetable broth instead of chicken broth Either omit the feta cheese or substitute with a vegan cheese. Replace the honey with an alternative sweetener.
Other Mediterranean inspired recipes:
If you’ve made this or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. I love hearing from my readers!
You can also follow along on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes to satisfy any foodie craving!
Full Recipe Instructions
Mediterranean Farro Salad
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup farro (uncooked, rinsed, and drained)
- 1 large cucumber (seeds removed, diced)
- ½ red bell pepper (seeds and stem removed, diced)
- ½ small red onion (diced)
- ½ cup greek olives
- ½ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ cup Italian parsley (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano (fresh, minced)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Combine farro and chicken broth in a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to the lowest amount while still maintaining a simmer, and cover. Continue cooking until the farro is tender and all of the liquid is gone. Remove from heat and allow farro to fully cool.
- Combine farro with all remaining salad ingredients in large bowl. Toss to combine.
- To make dressing, combine all ingredients except for the olive oil in medium sized bowl. Whisk well to combine. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour steady stream of olive oil into salad until all of it has been added. Continue to whisk until the dressing has emulsified. Add to salad and toss.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate if making ahead.
This recipe was originally published in July 2014 and has been updated with helpful information, ingredient and process photos, as well as recipe tips. Don't worry - the recipe hasn't changed!
Dressing and salad was delicious. I added walnuts for more crunch. Makes a lot - gonna make and take to our next neighborhood picnic.
Excellent! I left out the olives (yuck haha) and used goat cheese since I was out of feta. I also added small cubes of chicken breast for the meat lover in me! Absolutely delicious!
Farro salad is one of my favorite salads and I haven't tried it at home. Thanks for an amazing recipe, can't wait to try it out!
Awesome combination and awesome flavors. Something unique for sure.
This is an ideal lunch or fantastic side dish - the flavours are delicious!
I love Mediterranean salads in the summer. This is such a great option for a quick and simple salad as a side or main dish.
MMM this sounds so delicious. With Greek olives and Feta cheese, I could eat this every week.