This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Greek Salad made with crisp romaine, onions, olives, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, oregano and the homemade dressing is the best salad recipe!
If you love the flavors of this recipe, you’ll also love my Greek Pasta Salad.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe is so great:
- Pairs well with other Greek and Mediterranean recipes. Some of my favorite Greek inspired recipes satisfy all of my comfort food cravings, but tend to be a little bit on the heavy side.
- Super fresh, light, and full of flavor. This salad is not only light and fresh, but it is tangy and packed full of flavor. It reminds me a lot of my Marinated Tomato Cucumber Salad, but this recipe includes many more ingredients.
- Perfect amounts of everything. Unlike so many Greek salads that I’ve gotten at restaurants that are filled with huge chunks of vegetables or cheese and saturated in dressing, this salad has all of the ingredients thinly sliced with just the right amount of tangy vinaigrette dressing.
How to make Greek Salad dressing:
This Greek salad dressing is made from a few simple ingredients:
- the acid comes from juice from one lemon along with some red wine vinegar
- you need to add some sugar and salt to balance out the tart
- and olive oil
Simply whisk all of the ingredients together without the olive oil, then pour it in using a thin, steady stream while whisking continuously. Couldn’t be easier! As always, give the salad dressing a taste and adjust any of the ingredients as needed.
I tend to like a lot of variety when I make salads. This recipe is sure to pack a ton of flavor into each bite. Be sure to slice all of the vegetables thin!
- crisp Romaine lettuce
- red onion
- Kalamata olives – be sure to buy the kind that don’t have pits
- red bell pepper
- crumbled feta cheese
- freshly minced oregano
Recipe tips for best results:
- Slice all vegetables super thin so that they are easily picked up with a fork.
- Remove the seeds and pulp from the cucumber and tomatoes to remove excess liquid. This will prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
- Soak the red onion in cold water for at least 30 minutes if you want to tame the strong flavor.
- Make ahead directions:
- Chop all of the ingredients and store them separately. Likewise, you can mix up the dressing and keep everything refrigerated until ready to use. Then, all you’d need to do is toss everything together just before serving. This is your best option if you want to do the work ahead of time but still enjoy a fresh, crisp Greek salad.
- You can mix the salad ingredients together but wait to add the dressing until you’re ready to serve. Keep in mind that the vegetables will release moisture and might make your salad a bit soggy.
What to serve with Greek Salad:
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It
- 1 head romaine lettuce sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 6 ounce can kalamata olives drained
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes seeds removed, sliced
- 1 cucumber halved lengthwise, seeds removed, sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano minced
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in large bowl. Toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, whisk together all of the ingredients except the olive oil. Pour the olive oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking constantly. Continue to whisk once all the olive oil has been added until the dressing has emulsified.
- Add dressing to salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately. If making ahead, keep the dressing and the salad separate until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This recipe was originally published in September 2019 and has been updated with helpful information and recipe tips. Don’t worry – the recipe hasn’t changed!