I make my Grapefruit Mimosa a little different than just combining champagne and grapefruit juice and the result is a sweet and flavorful pink cocktail.
When you can go to Costco and pick up a bag of big, beautiful, juicy, vibrant pink grapefruits, you do two things. 1) Enjoy the fact that although its winter and a fresh berry is months away, the citrus is AMAZING this time of year and 2) Grapefruit Mimosas kick some serious ass. Now, you may know a mimosa as juice + champagne. Its my favorite way to enjoy orange juice, after all. But grapefruit juice, even a super sweet one, is too bitter when paired with champagne. That’s why I like to sweeten it up with a bit of simple syrup and add a hefty splash of Grand Marnier to really bring out the citrus notes. Now, the amount of simple syrup I put in this cocktail bordered on almost-too-sweet for my liking, but it was definitely lip smacking good.
The result is a pretty and bubbly breakfast cocktail that is super easy to make a refreshing change from a plain old glass of orange juice. Enjoy!
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce orange flavored liquor I used Grand Marnier
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 4 ounces champagne amount will vary depending on the size of your glass
- Make your simple syrup by combining equal volumes of water and granulated sugar in a sauce pot over medium heat, swirling until all of the sugar has dissolved. Cool and store in refrigerator.
- In a champagne flute, combine simple syrup with orange liquor. Add freshly squeeze grapefruit juice. Finally top with chilled champagne. Enjoy!