This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My Grapefruit Mimosa a little different than just combining champagne and grapefruit juice. Homemade simple syrup and some orange flavored liqueur like Grand Marnier help make this a sweet and flavorful pink cocktail.
Grapefruits are fantastic in cocktails.
When you can go to Costco and pick up a bag of big, beautiful, juicy, vibrant pink grapefruits, you do two things:
- Enjoy the fact that although its winter and a fresh berry is months away, the citrus is AMAZING this time of year and
- Grapefruit Mimosas are an easy to make and incredibly delicious cocktail.
What makes this mimosa fantastic:
Now, you may know a mimosa as juice + champagne. Its my favorite way to enjoy orange juice, after all.
But grapefruit juice, even a super sweet one, is too tart and bitter when paired with champagne.
That’s why I like to sweeten it up with a bit of simple syrup and add a hefty splash of Grand Marnier to really bring out the citrus notes.
Now, the amount of simple syrup I put in this cocktail bordered on almost-too-sweet for my liking, but it was definitely lip smacking good.
The result is a pretty and bubbly breakfast cocktail that is super easy to make a refreshing change from a plain old glass of orange juice. Enjoy!
- 1 ounce simple syrup recipe link in notes
- 1/2 ounce orange flavored liqueur I used Grand Marnier
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- 4 ounces champagne amount will vary depending on the size of your glass
- Make your simple syrup by combining equal volumes of water and granulated sugar in a sauce pot over medium heat, swirling until all of the sugar has dissolved. Cool and store in refrigerator.
- In a champagne flute, combine simple syrup with orange liquor. Add freshly squeeze grapefruit juice. Finally top with chilled champagne. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This post was originally published in February of 2015 and recently updated for your viewing pleasure.