Easy Broccoli Slaw with a homemade creamy dressing is a side salad that takes only minutes to make and is perfect for any summer time gathering.
Well hey there. How’s it going? Not sure why, but I felt like getting casual there for a moment. Did you know I don’t really like broccoli? Perhaps I’ve endured too many failed attempts at trying to steam it to perfection come dinner time when in actuality I accidentally boil the hell out of it and my entire house ends up smelling like ass and I’m left with a mushy pile of green. Yeah, broccoli has never been my favorite, but occasionally I like to give it another go. That’s why I felt like making this broccoli slaw. Instead of eating the “leaves” of the broccoli, I opted for the shredded stem for two reasons – 1) You eat it raw so there’s no chance of me over cooking it and 2) it came already shredded in a bag and less work during summer = happy Krissy.
When we go camping, or glamping in our case considering we sleep in a cabin with our very own bathroom, I like to prepare almost all the food ahead of time so
I don’t have to deal with dishes we can just grab what we want and eat it at the campsite. When we spent a few nights in the woods last month, this easy broccoli slaw was one of the things I made ahead of time to bring. The creamy dressing and tart apple complimented the somewhat bitter broccoli and ended up making a quite pleasant side. Plus, the added vegetables sort of balanced out the obscene amount of hot dogs and s’mores that I shoved into my face. So whether you’re a broccoli lover or you’re a broccoli hater, you might just want to give this recipe a try. If anything, its super easy to make!
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- squeeze of lime
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup apple small tart apple, julienned
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- In small dish, mix together shallot, yogurt, mayo, vinegar, sugar, and lime to make dressing. this can be prepared ahead of time, but allow dressing to sit at least 30min to let the flavors combine.
- Toss broccoli slaw, apple, and walnuts to combine. Coat with dressing and toss. Add salt and pepper, as desired.