Cream Cheese Frosting is an American favorite when it comes to topping cakes and cupcakes.
Just a few ingredients come together to form a super sweet, smooth, and decadent frosting that pairs with just about any kind of cake. There are a few tips and tricks with the ingredients and mixing needed to make it perfect!
MY OTHER RECIPES
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that I will earn a teeny tiny (seriously, it’s ridiculously small) commission on anything that you buy, at no added cost to you. By supporting me this way, I can deliver more delicious recipes! Read my disclosure policy here.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Pin it to your DESSERT BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow Self Proclaimed Foodie on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Cream Cheese Frosting is one of those things that I’ve been making my entire life but have never put the recipe on my blog… until now. I honestly don’t think there’s a more popular version of frosting out there.
For as long as I can remember, I honestly didn’t even know other frosting recipes existed. Growing up, my options were either homemade cream cheese frosting or frosting from a can. It turns my stomach knowing I used to eat the frosting from a can when it is so easy to make it at home from scratch.
Now, this frosting is so much different than my super popular Buttercream Frosting recipe. That one uses a hot sugar syrup and an obscene amount of butter. It’s not nearly as sweet as this frosting either. If you’re planning on decorating a fancy cake, I would use the buttercream. If you’re planning on just slathering it on and enjoying every last morsel of that sweet creaminess, then I would make this cream cheese frosting.
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting:
- To achieve a super smooth frosting, there are a few things you’ll need to do.
- First, you’ll want to use a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer. It’s really hard to get super smooth and creamy frosting when mixing by hand.
- Second, you’ll need to make sure that both your butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. If they’re cold, your frosting will be lumpy.
- To mix your cream cheese frosting, you’ll begin by fully mixing together your butter and cream cheese until it is a very smooth and fluffy mixture.
- Then all you need to do is add your vanilla and powdered sugar. I recommend adding the sugar in increments, fully mixing, and then adding more. You can adjust the amount of sugar you add based on desired taste and thickness.
This is the best cream cheese frosting recipe.
I have no actual proof to back up my claim other than what my taste buds tell me.
I know there are about 127,346 versions of cream cheese frosting recipes out there and most of them are basically the same. That won’t stop me from claiming this recipe is the best one you’ll find.
This is easy cream cheese frosting.
Wanna know why? Because I took the guess work out of measuring.
If you buy a brick of cream cheese, that’s 8 ounces.
If you use a cube of butter, that’s 8 tablespoons.
Those two amounts are exactly what the recipe calls for, so no measuring required!
And if you cook like me and prefer to eyeball ingredient measurements rather than measure them to spare having to wash yet another dish, you can even guestimate the amount of powdered sugar you use based on sweetness and thickness.
Cream cheese frosting variations:
- Crush up freeze dried fruit and mix it into your frosting. I did this with the blueberry cream cheese frosting pictured below, but have also done it with freeze dried mango, strawberries and raspberries.
- Create frosting with fall flavors by mixing in pure maple syrup, cinnamon, or pumpkin spice.
- Zest from lemons, limes, or oranges adds a fresh fruity citrus flavor to your cream cheese frosting.
- Spoon in some unsweetened cocoa powder to make chocolate cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting is an American favorite when it comes to topping cakes and cupcakes. Just a few ingredients come together to form a super sweet, smooth, and decadent frosting that pairs with just about any kind of cake. There are a few tips and tricks with the ingredients and mixing needed to make it perfect!
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Blend butter and cream cheese together on high speed in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape sides, add vanilla, and continue mixing for about another minute or so.
Add sugar incrementally, blending slowly to combine and then on high speed to really mix.
Makes enough to frost 2 dozen cupcakes or a stacked 9-inch round cake.
Makes about 4 cups