Chicken and Brussels Sprouts with Mustard Sauce is a healthy and low carb meal option that pairs an easy chicken dinner idea with sauteed brussels sprouts.
Chicken and brussels sprouts. What a great combination. And before you call me out, I know they are called Brussels sprouts, but I'm going to refer to them both ways just to be difficult. Together, chicken and brussels sprouts make a great meal. You've got lean protein and no carbs in the chicken and great vitamins and low carbs in sprouts, but they need a bit more to make it a tasty meal. That's where the sauteed mushrooms and mustard sauce come in. Pair mushrooms with sauteed brussels sprouts and you've got a winning combination!
I've written about how my husband detests brussels sprouts. He is a veggie lover, but he detests these micro cabbages. I'm happy to report that I've since made several Brussels sprouts dishes including Brussels sprouts including Roasted Balsamic Bacon Brussels Sprouts, Brussels Sprouts Gratin, and Ham and Brussel Sprout Pasta and he loved all three recipes! I served this chicken and brussels sprouts up with the most beautiful roasted rosemary carrots and beets. Roasted root vegetables are an outstanding choice for a healthy, low carb side, and they compliment the protein in this meal beautifully.
How to make this meal:
- First of all, the chicken was perfectly cooked and extremely tender because I pounded it nice and flat before cooking. I love pounding chicken.
- Next, I topped the chicken with the sauteed brussels sprouts and mushrooms. This, alone, would be a fabulous low carb meal, however I don't think it would taste very good.
- Enter the butter sauce. Mmmm. Butter sauce. You make it in the pan that you cooked the chicken in so you get all that yummy flavor, and its a combination of chicken broth, apple cider, dijon mustard, butter, and rosemary. The sauce not only adds the most delicious and intense flavor, but it is still very low in carbs and is an outstanding addition to the chicken and brussel sprouts.
Doesn't that meal look delicious? I absolutely love it when I'm able to put dinner on the table knowing it not only tastes good, but is healthy fuel for our bodies. I had the leftovers the next day for lunch and they were just as good, if not better.
Recipe video below!
Chicken and Brussel Sprouts with Mustard Sauce
RECIPE VIDEO WILL AUTOPLAY
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 4 6 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper (as desired)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup unfiltered apple cider
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (minced)
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts (trimmed and sliced)
- 6 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place chicken breasts in a large plastic storage bag and flatten to uniform ½ inch thickness using a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add oil and tilt pan so that oil covers base of pan. Add chicken to hot skillet and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken, taking care to lift any pieces that may have stuck to the pan. Immediately place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake at 450° for 9 minutes or until done. Remove the chicken from pan and transfer to a plate. Keep warm by loosely tenting with aluminum foil.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Allow to cook, stirring only occasionally, until wilted and slightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Using the pan from the chicken, heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken broth and apple cider. Bring to a boil and scrape pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Whisk in mustard, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and rosemary.
- To serve, top chicken breasts with brussel sprout and mushroom mixture, and then smother with sauce. Serve with roasted vegetables for a delicious, healthy, and low carb meal.
Looking for more chicken dinner ideas?
- Everyone loves the classic chicken dinner ideas like Perfect Chicken Parmesan or Chicken Marsala.
- In a hurry? You should try using your Instant Pot to make Pressure Cooker Shoyu Chicken or a Pressure Cooker Whole Chicken.
- Need a chicken dinner idea that your kids will love? You can't go wrong with Buttermilk Baked Chicken or Oven Fried Chicken Tenders.