This moist and tender Buttermilk Baked Chicken is not only quick and easy to make for family dinner, but it is the perfect new comfort food.
Everyone knows buttermilk fried chicken is like the ultimate comfort food.
THE NEW COMFORT FOOD IS:
1. Natural ingredients that are free of additives, preservatives, antibiotics and hormones2. Using mostly local, seasonal ingredients3. Minimal ingredients in the recipe4. Quick, easy steps and fast prep time
I mean, serve me a plate with some smashed potatoes and collard greens alongside a biscuit and you can call me a happy girl. The problem is that fried chicken isn’t exactly the healthiest choice. Plus, if you’re anything like me, deep frying doesn’t happen too terribly often in my kitchen. That’s why I love making this buttermilk baked chicken.
This recipe only calls for a few simple ingredients. I used Foster Farms Simply Raised chicken. I prefer to use locally grown, antibiotic-free chicken to feed my family because it not only tastes better, but its just higher quality food. Foster Farms Simply Raised fresh chicken contains no antibiotics ever and its locally grown in California and the Pacific Northwest (depending on consumer location). Local is always better. If you have visited my blog before, you know I highly value the meals I serve your family, not only because I want to ensure I’m providing the proper nourishment, but because family meal time is sacred to us.
A lot of the time with chicken breasts, I prefer to tenderize them by smashing with a mallet. There are so many benefits to cooking chicken like this. First, there are few things more satisfying than hitting something like meat with a mallet. If you’ve never tried it, you must do so and then report back. Have a bad day? No problem! Just beat the heck out of your dinner! Second, by making the meat a uniform thickness, it not only cooks faster (hello, weekday dinner) but it ensures a tender and moist piece of chicken rather than one that is moist on one end and dried on the other.
Buttermilk is my secret weapon of choice in the kitchen. I use it in all sorts of recipes like pancakes and mashed potatoes, but it also works phenomenally to coat things like these chicken breasts. No need for a hot pan of oil with tonight’s dinner!
The combination of panko and parmesan give the chicken the perfect texture and flavor. Nothing browns up more beautifully than parmesan cheese! I add just a few spices to the mix to give this chicken the perfect flavor.
Next time you’re in need of a quick dinner that your entire family will love, be sure to add this buttermilk baked chicken to your list of go-to recipes!
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
- 2-3 pounds Foster Farms Simply Raised fresh chicken boneless chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Set each breast in between two layers of plastic wrap and flatten to 3/4 inch thickness by using a mallet or rolling pin. Soak chicken in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine remaining ingredients. Shake excess buttermilk off each piece of chicken and coat in the bread mixture.
- Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in preheated 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.