Bite Sized Smashed Potatoes are an easy side dish. Baby potatoes baked with fresh thyme, garlic, and olive oil are crispy on the outside and soft inside.
Bite Sized Smashed Potatoes are best when made with mini Yukon gold potatoes, in my opinion.
A lot of people might want to make these with baby red potatoes, and those would work perfectly fine and taste great, but there is just a creamy buttery goodness with the golden Yukons.
I'm always on the hunt for a quick and easy side dish to serve with dinner. The typical dinner in our house almost always consists of a protein, a starch, and a veggie.
Turns out I had this little bag of potatoes sitting in my refrigerator for quite some time and I didn't really have a plan to do anything with them.
I knew the skins were super tender on this variety and peeling those little things wasn't an option. I also knew that if I boiled them whole, they would be wonderfully soft and tender on the outside.
But how to serve? I figured a nice smash and a light toss in my favorite olive oil along with some fresh herbs and garlic would finish them off nicely. Turns out I was right! These Bite Sized Smashed Potatoes turned out perfectly.
Some people crave sweets. Some people crave carbs. Sadly, I crave both. If you're one of those people who love foods like these Bite Sized Smashed Potatoes, then you should definitely check out some of my other favorite potato recipes:
- Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes - mashed, not smashed potatoes this time
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole - this definitely falls into the comfort food category
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes - we could eat oven roasted garlic every night
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes - we can't forget our beta carotene loaded orange friends
Kitchen tools used:
Baking Pan - Sometimes I use my stoneware which has been in my kitchen for more than a decade, but I also use this trusted made in the USA warp resistant nonstick aluminized steel baking pan.
Large Pot - I think every kitchen deserves a well made nice set of stainless steel cookware.
Potato Masher - I waited until the potatoes were cool before I lovingly smashed them, but if you'd like to take them straight from the boiling water to the oven, you can flatten them out by using one of these.
Bite Sized Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby fingerling potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Boil potatoes until slightly tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Using a baking sheet, smash each potato. Mix together oil, thyme, garlic and salt. Spoon evenly over smashed potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.