Easy Teriyaki Shrimp is one of the quickest and most flavorful dinner recipes you can make! Nothing beats tender shrimp coated in a tasty sticky sauce!
This is one of those fabulous go-to dinner recipes that your whole family will love. Serve these awesome skewers alongside some Asian Roasted Broccoli, tasty warm Ramen Noodles, and a delicious Spicy Peanut Slaw for a complete meal!
TERIYAKI SHRIMP SKEWER RECIPE
I always keep a bag of wild caught frozen shrimp in my freezer. Why? Because they’re quick to thaw and can be transformed into a number of dinners that I know my family will love in no time at all.
Shrimp is one of those healthy proteins that is quick to cook but also completely versatile.
What’s in the sauce?
This recipe includes my favorite homemade teriyaki sauce. I use it to top anything from chicken, to meatballs, to salmon.
This sauce has it all: flavor with a sticky finger-licking finish. Not only does this sauce only take a few minutes to prepare, but you might be able to make it from ingredients you already have on hand.
- Soy sauce – you can substitute with coconut aminos if you need a gluten free version.
- Brown sugar – this is how you get the sticky!
- Lemon juice – always need a bit of acid to balance out the sweet and salty.
- Fresh garlic and ginger – because you can’t beat the flavor.
- Toasted sesame oil – nothing compares!
- Corn starch and water – to make a slurry to help thicken the sauce.
Teriyaki shrimp skewers are so easy to make!
You can cook them on the BBQ grill, or you can whip out the cast iron grill pan like I did.
- First step is to make the homemade teriyaki sauce. This is as simple as whisking all the ingredients together in a small pan over heat until it comes to a gentle boil. Then you just cook it a couple more minutes until it thickens.
- Once the sauce has cooled, simply toss your shrimp in the sauce to coat and then skewer them up!
- The beauty of shrimp is they only take about 5-10 minutes to grill up and you only need to flip them once.
- Give them a thin coating of leftover sauce at the end for that extra pop of flavor and sticky goodness.
- 1 pound shrimp raw, tail and vein removed, wild caught recommended
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Slowly whisk in cornstarch slurry into the mixture.
- Heat teriyaki sauce over medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat until it can maintain a gentle boil and allow to cook about 2 minutes until the mixture just starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Remove about 3 tablespoons of the sauce and reserve for later.
- Add shrimp to remaining sauce and stir to coat. Add shrimp to skewers. Grill over high heat, turning once, until shrimp is done, about 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Brush the top of the cooked shrimp with the reserved sauce. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds. Serve with rice and a steamed vegetable.
Love easy shrimp recipes?
Then you’ll love these!
- Cheesy Shrimp and Grits
- Shrimp Stir Fry
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Shrimp Pasta
- Shrimp Zucchini Boats
- Shrimp Vermicelli Salad
- Shrimp Salad
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- Shrimp Scampi
- Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Skewers
- Mini Shrimp Tostadas
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Foil Packs
- Grilled Shrimp with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
- Summer Rolls