Horseradish cream sauce is the perfect accompaniment to serve alongside prime rib roast. This recipe is incredibly delicious and easy to make. Horseradish sauce keeps well and tastes even better after it has been allowed time for the flavors to meld. It tastes so good, you'll want to also enjoy it on sandwiches, on potatoes, or as a dip!
Why this recipe is so great:
- Delicious: As in, knock-it-out-of-the-park good. You might not think something as simple as a horseradish sauce could really add a lot to a meal, but this particular combination of ingredients is super tasty and adds a ton of flavor.
- Easy to make: Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, stir, and refrigerate. Honestly, you don't even need to measure the ingredients. This is one of those recipes you can "eyeball" the measurements.
- Customize it: With any recipe, you can vary the quantities or make substitutions as you wish, and horseradish sauce is no exception. Like it more spicy? Add more horseradish. A little more tart? Add more vinegar. I highly recommend making this recipe as written because it is so delicious, but feel free to modify to your liking!
Exact quantities are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
- Horseradish - highly recommend using freshly grated or, my preference, Bubbies Prepared Horseradish. Avoid using shelf stable creamed horseradish because it often contains preservatives and other ingredients you might not want to eat.
- Sour cream - go for the full fat version
- Dijon mustard - you could substitute with spicy mustard, however Dijon has a pleasant horseradish kind of flavor that blends perfectly into this mixture.
- Worcestershire sauce - you can omit if you want the horseradish sauce to be extra white, but it adds a lot of flavor
- White wine vinegar - you can substitute with apple cider vinegar for a sweeter flavor, but I much prefer white wine vinegar in this sauce
- Chives - freshly chopped chives add flavor and color, however freeze dried could also work
- Salt - always add small amounts of salt until the right balance is achieved
How to make horseradish cream sauce:
Detailed step by step instructions are listed in the recipe card below, but here is a summary.
- Combine: Simply add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. If preferred, some of the chives can be left out and reserved for later.
- Refrigerate: Horseradish sauce can be served immediately, however it tastes best when it has time for the flavors to meld, so at least an hour of refrigeration is recommended.
Serve horseradish cream sauce with:
- Oven Roasted Prime Rib Roast
- Smoked Prime Rib Roast
- Leftover Prime Rib Sandwiches
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Bite Sized Smashed Potatoes
- Filet Mignon
- T Bone Steaks
If you’ve made this or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. I love hearing from my readers!
Horseradish Cream Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish (or grated fresh horseradish)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chives (finely chopped)
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Taste and add/adjust salt or seasonings, as desired.