The best Halloween dessert are these Chocolate Monster Cookies made with homemade candy googly eyes, perfect chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate ganache.
Aren’t they just the cutest? The best part is that they taste really good. No. I mean really good. Plus, they’re not full of crap like corn syrup or artificial dye like so many other treats this time of year. That’s because they’re 100% made from scratch. You can definitely cut corners and buy candy eyes and buy cookies from a package or a bakery and even buy nasty chocolate frosting from a tub, but the finished monster will not have as much character as these nor will they taste nearly as good. I promise.
These fantastic monsters start with my homemade googly candy eyes. There’s a pretty funny story in that post about how my first attempt was total pinterest fail. The best part about these eyes is that you can be creative with them so that whatever you make really takes on a life of its own.
Next comes the chocolate chip cookies. I stand by my recipe for faithful chocolate chip cookies and will never use anything else. They’re perfect.
Then comes the ganache. Chocolate ganache is one of the easiest things you can make. Seriously. And the best part is that the leftovers can be turned into rolled truffles. When its hot, you can use it as a glaze, and as it cools you can pipe it onto a cookie like I did here or stick it in the frig for later and just make a drinking chocolate if you want!
I made the teeth out of sticky little marshmallow triangles that I cut from a single jumbo marshmallow. They tasted really good and that method was much easier than making up another batch of royal icing. Now, if I had thought ahead I could have totally made some pointy teeth when I was making my candy eyes… but I rarely have that much foresight.
The best part when you make your own candy eyes is that you can goof around with the size and shape and then match up all sorts of different combinations to really make it fun. Will they be cross-eyed? Will one be larger than the other? Do it all and see which one you like!
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used 60% Ghirardhelli)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- one jumbo marshmallow for teeth
- Place coarsely chopped chocolate in a medium sized heat safe bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat bring the heavy cream to a boil. You just want to get it to the point of a boil and then remove it from the heat as soon as it does.
- Pour the scalded heavy cream over the chocolate and let stand for 2-3 minutes undisturbed until chocolate has softened.
- Slowly whisk the mixture until smooth and add the room temperature butter. Whisk until butter is melted and incorporated.
- Either add ganache to pastry bag or place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ganache and allow to cool at room temperature for 2-4 hours.
- Match cookie pairs according to size. Put the first cookie face down. Pipe on some ganache, making it thicker on one side. Place top cookie on ganache and press down on only one side to give the illusion of an open mouth.
- Use additional ganache on top to make your eyes stick.
- Cut out small teeth from the marshmallow. Get creative!
- Store in an airtight container if not eaten right away.