This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Whipped Sweet Potatoes are one of the easiest paleo and vegan sweet potato recipes. Just two ingredients and your instant pot is all you need!
These are basically incredibly flavorful sweet potato mashed potatoes made without dairy. They have such a creamy texture, you’ll be convinced there’s real butter in there!
Why this recipe works:
Whipped Sweet Potatoes only take a few minutes to make when you use your Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker).
- Have you ever made pressure cooker potatoes? It will change your life. Incredibly fast, easy, and the potatoes retain all of their moisture.
- These whipped sweet potatoes are vegan!
- These whipped sweet potatoes only have two ingredients. Besides sweet potatoes being the obvious ingredient, I used coconut butter. Not coconut oil. Not coconut milk. But coconut butter. It’s what I used in my paleo coconut macaroons and it’s fabulous.
Here’s how to make them:
- The sweet potatoes are peeled and cubed. Then, you simply place them in the Instant Pot with about a cup of water and cook for 6 minutes.
- Whip the drained softened sweet potatoes with the coconut butter. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot!
- You can buy whole sweet potatoes and peel and chop them yourself. But, if you can find prepackaged chopped sweet potatoes, you’ll save even more time.
- Coconut butter can be rather expensive. I do recommend you try it since it works so well and the flavor is fantastic in this recipe, but you can also use milk, butter, and/or sour cream in it’s place.
- Have fun with the type of sweet potato you use. How fun would purple mashed potatoes be?
Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large garnet or jewel yams peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons raw coconut butter
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook sweet potatoes and water in electric pressure cooker on high pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Alternatively, you can boil on stove until tender or place sweet potatoes and water in covered dish and bake at 350° F for 75 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes.
- Mash or whip yams with coconut butter. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. For variety, try baking a combination of sweet potatoes or Japanese yams (purple skin, white flesh) instead of garnet or jewel yams.
- Serve like you would mashed potatoes, or get extra fancy and add the mixture to a pastry bag and pipe it onto the plate.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.