Host the perfect get together for any summer day or evening with this delicious Strawberry Basil Honey Punch made with silver tequila and ginger ale.
I said this fabulously delicious drink was perfect for any get together because I don't want you to think you have to have an elaborate party with dozens of people to make it. A backyard bonfire, a poolside party, a summer sizzler with the BBQ or smoker going, an adult lemonade stand (why not?), or a game of cards on the patio with friends.
Quite a few ingredients go into this delicious drink, but trust me - every single one is absolutely worth it. Any good cocktail starts with good quality booze, and I love LOVE love silver Tequila. First off, good tequila must come from Mexico, right? Tequila mixed with ginger ale on its own is already a great refreshing cocktail, but when you add in everything else your taste buds will surely be delighted.
Instead of traditional simple syrup where I mix sugar and water, I decided to let some orange peel (just the very outside, not the white pith) soak in a bath of honey and hot water. Oh yeah.
And nothing says summer like strawberries and basil. I absolutely love the flavor combinations of these two ingredients when paired together, whether it be in a salad or a drink. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, wine and chocolate, coffee and donuts. You get the idea.
My best entertaining tip for your get together is to have a fun and tasty drink like this and plenty of it! People love drinking out of mason jars and if you're anything like me, you have a ton of them stored up for canning, so don't worry about having enough glasses to go around. Another tip when you're entertaining is to have fun ice shapes. You have no idea how many people comment on the different ice options I include and I'm always changing it up. Use anything from large cubes to spheres. As long as you do something different than your standard boring ice that comes out of your automatic ice maker, people will love it!
Strawberry Basil Honey Punch
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- zest of one orange (peeled in wide strips)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (hulled and roughly chopped)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups lime juice (from 10-15 limes)
- 750 ml Silver Tequila (and/or Canada Dry Ginger Ale (ratio dependent on how boozy you want your drink))
- Add honey and orange peel to a bowl. Boil water and add to honey; stir to dissolve and allow flavors from orange peel to come out. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Macerate strawberries with basil by smashing them together in a bowl.
- In a large pitcher, combine cooled honey mixture with the orange peel with the strawberries, basil, and lime juice. Add tequila and/or ginger ale. I enjoyed this drink with just the tequila, just the ginger ale, and then a combination of both and all three variations were delicious, so the amount you add depends 100% on how boozy you want your drink.
- Serve over ice.