Thinly sliced fresh plum top this incredibly moist and flavorful cake. This Plum Almond Cake is not only easy to make, but it's a gorgeous dessert.
I sure do love this time of year when fresh fruit is available every where you go.
Whether you're looking for berries, peaches, apricots or plums, they seem to surrounding you wherever you may go, whether it be the Farmer's Market or the grocery store.
I ended up buying a big box of these plums during one of my many Costco runs. The older my kids get, the more often I seem to hang out there.
Baking with almonds is quite possibly one of my favorite flavors. From using ground almonds in treats like macarons, to adding almond extract to classic treats like angel food cake, desserts made with almonds rank high among my favorites.
This cake is one of those desserts that's not too sweet or not sweet enough, it's just right (says baby bear). Whether you serve this perfectly sweet and decadent plum almond cake after a summer or fall dinner, I guarantee you will get a lot of "oooooohs" and "aaaaaaahhhhs" because of how pretty it is.
You can definitely top a slice of this incredible cake with some vanilla ice cream, especially if you serve it hot out of the oven. My preferred naughty topping, however, is homemade whipped cream. Mostly because I buy heavy whipping cream by the half gallon (again, Costco) and will serve it at every appropriate opportunity.
One of my favorite things about cooking with plums is how the dark red color from the skin bleeds into the yellow flesh while it cooks. Isn't it pretty? Just compare that color to the second photo in this post of the cake just before I popped it into the oven. Pretty cool, right?
As long as your family isn't allergic to nuts, they'd be nuts not to love this cake. Oh yes, we use a lot of puns in this house. You can easily get a good nine pieces out of this finished cake, but I'm pretty sure my mom, two sisters, and I would quarter it to the exact gram and it would be gone approximately 3 minutes later. Same thing for my husband and two kids. What can I say? We love fruit topped cakes!
Plum Almond Cake
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated )
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 plums (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter an 8 x 8 baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, then almond extract and mix on medium for a couple minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, almond meal, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and zest. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix into a batter. Pour into the prepared pan and arrange plum slices on top of the batter in a decorative fashion. Sprinkle with lemon juice and dust with the sugar.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until sides begin to pull away and cake is golden brown. Cool and serve. It is also delicious with whipped cream or ice cream.
Leave a Reply