This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The most perfect classic Margarita recipe made with fresh lime juice, simple syrup, orange liqueur, and tequila is quick and easy to make.
This lip smacking tequila cocktail served over ice is the best drink!
Table of Contents
Do you need any special equipment?
The only piece of equipment you need to make a margarita is a cocktail shaker. But is a cocktail shaker really necessary to make a margarita? Not really. The only thing a cocktail shaker does is thoroughly mix the liquid with ice to properly chill the drink. Then it strains the chilled margarita into a glass with fresh ice. This results in an ice cold drink that won’t quickly melt the ice and get watered down.
If you want to enjoy a blended margarita, you’ll need to use a blender, of course.
There are many times, however, that I’ve mixed a margarita with nothing more than a spoon in my glass. I’m sure hardcore margarita enthusiasts would be appalled, but sometimes its all about minimizing the kitchen mess.
How to make this classic margarita:
- If you don’t already have simple syrup on hand, it’s super easy to make and it lasts for a long time if refrigerated. That being said, go make some simple syrup to have on hand right now!
- Margaritas are best, in my opinion, with salt around the rim of your glass. This is totally optional, but my preference. If you want to take things a bit further, mix a little sugar and lime zest in with your salt. YUM! Then fill that glass with ice.
- To mix the margarita, you simply add the tequila, simple syrup, lime juice and orange liqueur to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for about 30 seconds to get it nice and chilled.
- Pour the chilled margarita through the strainer into your prepared glass and enjoy!
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.
How much tequila do you use?
This is truly a matter of preference, but the rule I’ve always lived by is that half of my margarita is tequila.
The ratio I’ve always used is four parts tequila, 2 parts lime juice, 1 part simple syrup, and 1 part orange liqueur. For me, that recipe is not only easy to remember but it’s the perfect balance of sweet and sour and wow. Feel free to adjust my margarita recipe to your own personal taste.
What is the best tequila for a margarita?
Again, everyone has their preferences but I much prefer silver tequila in a margarita. If you’re entertaining for a crowd, you can always go with an inexpensive option. I mean, you’re mixing the tequila with a few other things so it’s not as obvious if you’re not using a high quality tequila.
When I’m out or want to just do it right, I usually prefer to go with Patron silver.
National Margarita Day
If you need any further convincing that a classic margarita is a fantastic cocktail, just remember that this drink is celebrated with it’s own holiday! This year, National Margarita Day was on February 22.
What does that mean? That means that we all have yet another reason to enjoy, and celebrate this sacred tequila lime drink. Collectively. That’s right. As if any of us needed an excuse to enjoy drinking a delicious margarita, but because of National Margarita Day we can all do it together.
Love tasty cocktail and mocktail recipes?
Then you’ll definitely want to try these:
- Virgin Mango Lime Margarita
- Blended Watermelon Margarita
- Blueberry Thyme Crush Cocktail
- Tequila Pina Colada
- Sparkling Red Sangria Recipe
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It
The Best Classic Margarita Recipe
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add tequila, lime juice, Simple Syrup and orange liqueur. Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Use leftover lime to moisten edge of glass. Place salt, sugar, lime juice mixture on a small plate. Press the rim of the glass into the mixture to coat the rim.
- Fill glass with ice. Strain margarita into the glass. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.