This delicious Blended Watermelon Margarita is made from frozen watermelon, lime, sugar and tequila. This refreshing cocktail pairs well with Mexican food.
Lordy, these were good. One of the main reasons I love having this food blog is it gives me another excuse (as if I needed any more) to make delicious things. Here's the story behind this marvelous blended watermelon margarita...
As soon as watermelon is available in the store, usually in the spring, I buy it. Everyone in our family loves it. I cut it up (always eating the center - these are the reserved benefits of the person doing the cutting) and the entire family devours it. Then I buy another one the next week, and the week after, and so on. I think you get the idea. Well, by the time the real summer rolls around (and in Oregon, this often is not until August) and the local and insanely delicious Hermiston watermelons are available, we're all sick of watermelon. The watermelon that went into these drinks was actually in our house for a couple weeks, went on a camping trip with us but we never cut it, then I was going to give it away before I went out of town for a couple weeks but never did, and its final resting place was my Blentec. It was a good watermelon, not the best, but it was beyond good when blended with lime, sugar, and most of all, silver tequila.
Here's a picture of the lime I used, mostly because I think its pretty. Shall I have it made into a giant canvas?
I wanted to show you the top view and how wonderfully frothy this delicious drink gets.
And a side view to show you how it starts to separate fairly quickly after you pour it. Don't you worry - the top remains frothy and the entire drink is making me salivate as I type... that's how good it was.
And this is what my glass looked like after I filled it up a couple of times. What? It was for the blog! I needed to give a thorough review, didn't I?
Blended Watermelon Margarita
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 large lime
- 4 cups watermelon (cubed and frozen)
- ¾ cup silver tequila
- kosher salt
- Remove rind from watermelon and cut into cubes. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- To make simple syrup, use peeler to remove zest from lime. Add lime peel to sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer just until sugar melts, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool with lime peel.
- In blender, combine frozen watermelon, simple syrup (with lime peel removed), juice from lime, and tequila. Blend until smooth. No need for ice if watermelon is frozen and simple syrup is cool.
- Rim glass with kosher salt. Pour margarita into glass and garnish with fresh lime slice.