Jalapeno Honey Lime Grilled Chicken is the perfect summer dinner with a little bit of sweet, the perfect hint of sour, and the perfect amount of heat.
If you've been searching for grilled chicken recipes, look no further.
Why this recipe works:
If you're looking for a moist, tender, flavorful grilled chicken recipe, you're going to love this recipe!
- Really excellent grilled chicken starts with an outstanding marinade. The homemade marinade in this recipe is super quick and easy to make, and the results are worth it.
- The flavor combination of honey + lime + jalapeno + salt is the perfect marriage of flavors. You get a little bit of everything your taste buds could possibly desire.
- Sweet, sour, heat and salt - it's what every good recipe needs. The marinade adds the perfect flavor to the chicken as well.
Here's how to make it:
- To make the marinade, simply combine olive oil, honey, lime juice, fresh jalapeno, crushed garlic, and salt in a large resealable plastic bag. I always like to taste my marinades before I add the meat and adjust any of the ingredients to my liking, if necessary.
- Then, add the chicken thighs and allow it to soak, refrigerated, in the marinade for at least an hour. If you're a planner, you can marinade the meat over night and that will allow even more flavor to penetrate the meat.
- To cook, heat the grill to medium high and cook for about 8-10 minutes on each side or until you've reached the desired cooking temperature.
- Any cut of chicken will work with this recipe but I prefer to grill chicken thighs because they are inexpensive, dark meat has more flavor and is more tender, and thighs are smaller portions than breasts. I'd rather have the option to have one, two, or three pieces of chicken rather than one really large piece that I can't finish.
- When you cook boneless skinless chicken thighs, they only need about 8-10 minutes to fully cook when using medium to medium high heat. If you're using bone-in or skin-on chicken thighs, you'll need to increase your cooking time a bit.
- The recommended internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees F.
What to serve with grilled chicken:
So many fantastic side dishes go great with this recipe. On this particular evening, we served our dinner up with some Mexican sauteed corn, refried black beans, warm corn tortillas, and sliced avocado. YUM!
I can honestly say that this was one of my most favorite grilled summer dinners and the bar was definitely set high for future backyard BBQs!
Jalapeno Honey Lime Grilled Chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 large jalapeno (stem and seeds removed, minced)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5 - 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- Using large resealable gallon size plastic storage bag, combine all marinade ingredients WITHOUT the chicken. Squeeze the bag to mix well. Taste the marinade and adjust if desired.
- Rinse chicken and add to marinade. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least an hour up to overnight.
- To grill, heat grill over medium to medium high heat. Spray grill with olive oil spray to prevent sticking. Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side until cooked through. Do not over cook and serve immediately.
- Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally posted in June 2017 and has been updated for your reading pleasure
Love jalapeno recipes? Then you'll want to make these:
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Jalapeño Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Cheddar Zucchini Bread with Jalapeno Honey Butter
- Mini Bacon Jalapeno Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Bacon Jalapeno Fry Sauce
- Stuffed Bacon Jalapeno Cheddar Burgers
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Jalapeno Poppers
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Flautas
- Bacon Jalapeño Deviled Eggs
- Bacon Jalapeño Football Fondue