Want to make some Damn Good Fruit Salad that everyone will love? Here's the perfect recipe with a secret ingredient that you may have never thought to use.
Intrigued? What on earth can you put in fruit salad to deem it a "secret ingredient"? Well, it may or may not be a secret ingredient. Perhaps this is how everyone makes fruit salad and I'm just a little slow to catch on. All I know is that when I make my fruit salad this way, every single person thinks its out-of-this-world delicious and always asks me what I put in it. Okay, are you tired of the tease and want to know what the secret ingredient is? Its lemon curd. If you've never had lemon curd, its absolutely divine. Curd is a wonderful concoction of fruit juice, zest, sugar and egg yolks. I plan on making my own homemade variation someday and sharing it with you lovely people, but this time around I cheated and just bought some at Trader Joe's. I'm not sure how easy it is to find at big brand grocery stores because I do most of my shopping at TJ's, but if you've never bought it before, I found it with the other baking stuff (sugar, flour, etc.).
There are three more tricks, in my humble opinion, to an outrageously delicious fruit salad.
1) The type of fruit you use is important. There are fruit salads out there that taste okay with apple/orange/banana/grape/etc. but those aren't my favorite. No. When I break out the lemon curd, I like to get all tropical with a healthy dose of berry. For whatever reason, that flavor combination pleases my taste buds.
2) Cut the fruit into small and uniform sized pieces. The OCD part of me totally shines through when I make this fruit salad. With the exception of the blackberries which I didn't cut because the juice would bleed and I wanted one big fruit to offset my smaller fruits (see - total OCD), each little piece of fruit was relatively the same size and equally covered in just the right amount of lemon curd.
3) Garnish with thin ribbons of mint. I love mint in fruit salads. It just adds to the freshness. I would totally mix my mint in but my kids aren't huge fans, so I have to stick it on top and then make sure I get all of it when we serve it up. Soooo good!
Watch the recipe video below of me making my Damn Good Fruit Salad!
Damn Good Fruit Salad
RECIPE VIDEO WILL AUTOPLAY
- 2 cups fresh pineapple (chopped)
- 4 kiwis (peeled and chopped)
- 2 bananas (slightly firm, chopped)
- 1 pint strawberries (hulled and chopped)
- 1 pint blackberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd (See notes for link to homemade lemon curd)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint (sliced into thin ribbons)
- In a large bowl, combine fruit with lemon curd. Gently toss to combine.
- Garnish with ribbons of freshly cut mint.
- Use a variety of fresh fruit. I find it tastes best when you cut it into uniform small pieces. This method of making fruit salad tastes best with tropical fruits (mango, kiwi, pineapple, banana) along with berries.
- Use store bought lemon curd or make your own using this recipe: https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/lemon-curd/
- This fruit salad is best if served on the same day. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.