This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Chicken a la King is best when made from scratch with tender pieces of chicken smothered in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, peppers and peas.
Why this recipe works:
If you’re a fan of delicious home cooked chicken dinners, you’ll love this dinner.
- This recipe is full of flavor. From the browned chicken to the sauteed vegetables, to the rich cream sauce, you will enjoy every bite.
- This is an easy weekday dinner option packed with protein and colorful vegetables.
- Serve it with your favorite starch and you’ll have an entire meal the family will enjoy.
- olive oil and butter
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- onion, mini red peppers, mushrooms, fresh green peas
- flour, salt, pepper
- whole milk
- chicken broth
How to make this homemade Chicken a la King:
- First step is to brown the chicken thighs in some olive oil. When done, transfer to a plate and after they’ve had time to rest, cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Add some butter to the pan and sauté the red peppers, mushrooms, and onion.
- Sprinkle flour over the cooked vegetables.
- Stir the flour into the veggie mixture and allow to brown. This is what will thicken your gravy.
- Add the chicken broth and milk and stir well until the gravy forms. Then, add all of the cut chicken along with any juices from the plate along with the steamed fresh peas.
- Stir well to combine and heat through. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe tips and substitutions:
- Rotisserie chicken works great for this recipe if you don’t want to cook chicken thighs.
- A red bell pepper can be used in place of the mini peppers.
- Frozen peas can be used in place of the fresh peas. Just be sure to cook them long enough in the gravy so that they are heated through.
- Store bought chicken broth works fine in this recipe, however homemade chicken stock will be much more flavorful.
- To reheat, simply add the chicken a la king to a sauce pan and gently heat over low heat until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat in a covered microwave safe bowl at 50% power until heated through.
How to serve Chicken a la King:
This recipe can be served in a number of ways and it is completely up to personal preference.
We prefer to serve it over rice so that the delicious creamy sauce gets fully absorbed. Other serving recommendations include serving Chicken a la King over noodles, bread, or cooked puff pastry.
I’m willing to bet it would taste amazing over mashed potatoes too!
Other great chicken dinner recipes:
If you love homemade chicken dinners with a comfort food vibe, you will certainly love these recipes:
- Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken Divan
- Perfect Chicken Parmesan
If you’ve made this or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out. I love hearing from my readers!
Chicken a la King
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless skinless
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3/4 cup mini red peppers diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock plus extra as needed
- 10 ounces fresh green peas steamed
- Heat a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 10-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and set on plate. Loosely tent with foil.
- Add butter to skillet. Once melted, add onion, mushrooms and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in flour, stir to prevent burning, and allow to get golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and whisk in milk and chicken stock. Cook, stirring constantly, until a smooth gravy forms.
- Bring to a low simmer, stir and cook for 5 minutes. If mixture gets too thick, whisk in a little bit of chicken stock at a time. Meanwhile, chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Stir in cooked chicken, as well as any juices from the plate, along with the peas. Cook until warmed through. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over pasta, rice, puff pastry, biscuits, or toast.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.