Cheddar Biscuits are easy to make, take just a few ingredients and a small amount of time, and result in a flaky savory drop biscuit that's perfect with breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
These cheesy biscuits use heavy cream and sharp cheddar cheese to hold them together. They are so soft and delicious!
Did you know that homemade Cheddar Biscuits are really easy to make? Just four ingredients - flour, baking powder, heavy cream, and shredded sharp cheddar all come together to make this crispy-on-the-outside soft-on-the-inside savory biscuit. You can serve them with breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Even better, can you imagine them smothered in homemade sausage gravy? Oh yes. Pair that breakfast with a heavenly fruit salad and you've got what I would consider a really good start to your day!
Making them is easy!
Biscuits are pretty much made from flour, baking powder, and fat. I traditionally use cold butter as the fat in my homemade biscuit recipe, but this time the fat came from heavy whipping cream and sharp cheddar cheese.
The trick to achieving flaky biscuits has to do with how you mix them. Over mixing the dough will create hard, dense biscuits. You want to mix the dough the minimum amount in order to get it to hold together and have the fat evenly distributed.
How to make this recipe from scratch:
In a large bowl, you will combine the flour and baking powder. Then you'll add the heavy cream and shredded cheese. Gently mix all of the ingredients together. It's okay to use your hands. I did!
You'll dump your gently mixed ingredients onto a clean surface. I love using a Roul'Pat any time I'm making pie dough or rolled cookies. It's just easier to contain the mess and the dough doesn't stick as much.
Use your hands to shape and flatten the dough. The thicker the dough, the taller the biscuit. I use an actual biscuit cutter because the sharp edges make it so the dough doesn't seal as you push down. This allows the biscuit to rise as it cooks, thus creating airy flaky layers.
Then, all you do is pop them in the hot oven and wait and salivate.
- 1 ⅞ cups flour ((measure two cups less two tablespoons))
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated, divided)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (might require more if dough is dry)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment papter.
- Toss about a cup of the cheese with the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the heavy cream and mix by hand. Dough should stick together when squeezed. If it doesn't, more heavy cream can be added by the tablespoon until the dough starts sticking together.
- Transfer dough to a flour coated surface and pat into a layer that's ¾ to 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut rounds and transfer to your prepared baking sheet. Top with remaining cheddar.
- Bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
These biscuits are SO delicious and taste just like the Red Lobster ones to me! I had slices of cheese so ripped them into little pieces and it was divine. I also didn't have a biscuit cutter so just cut it into portions with a knife and it worked great! I want to try adding chives to them sometime.
Oh yum! I bet these would be perfect with a bowl of chili. 🙂
I could eat these biscuits with every meal! They are so good!! Thanks for the great recipe.
You had me at four ingredients. This cheddar biscuit recipe is super simple and now there is no excuse to not make homemade biscuits.
My kids and I are always searching for new recipes to make. We love to spend time in the kitchen. We made your recipe and it was delicious. I love how easy it is to make, my kids did most of the work!
I can't believe how easy it is to make my own homemade cheddar biscuits. This will be on a repeat for sure. 🙂